35| No More Games

Welcome to the final chapter, please vote and now...

Where were we?

Chapter 35: No More Games

The crowd cheered, lifting signs and wooing as Ashton walked into the ring, some girls already hyperventilating at the sight of his abs.

Something was different, he wasn't the vibrant, charismatic guy I knew, there wasn't a trademark smirk on his face neither did he recognise the audience applause.

He just walked, head low.

"Is he... Alright?" I found myself muttering.

"He's been like that ever since..." Justin paused but I knew what he was about to say.

Ever since I'd said those words, I'd lied straight to his face and refused his help, I'd broken him and myself in the process.

Joey walked into the ring smiling, more vibrant than his opponent, throwing kisses and fist bumps to the audience. I couldn't help but gag.

"Want some?" Justin offered popcorn.

I refused, I couldn't think about that right now, I wanted to run in there and tell Ashton how I felt, I wanted to scream it to the rooftops.

"Please be okay," I found myself silently praying

By the sound of the bell, the match began

...

The boys circled one another, eyes locked on eachother.

Ashton lunged, throwing a blow at Joey but his movements were sloppier than before, Joey dodged it effortlessly.

It was a quick attack, Joey landed an uppercut, landing square on Ashton's ribs. I gasped.

A groan escaped his lips, escorted by a trail of blood as the refree came to separate the guys.

The match resumed shortly, Joey move in a blurry motion, speeding around Ashton who couldn't keep up.

Joey struck, landing blows after blows on Ashton, who staggered, the audience murmured with disbelief.

Joey's fists almost landed a final time when the bell rang and the referee separated them again.

"That would have been a knock out," Justin noted, gripping his seat tightly as he mumbled, "come on man, get up. Fight!"

"Why isn't he fighting?" I asked with concern. Ashton was a fighter, he always confronted things so why wasn't he fighting?

"Sometimes, it's better to feel physically pain than emotional," Justin replied softly, his eyes on me.

This was Ashton's way of coping? Getting beat up? No! He couldn't do this to himself.

I stood from my seat, yelling at the top of my voice:

"FIGHT ASHTON! FIGHT!" I paused, before silently mumbling those three little words.

"I love you."

He'd noticed me the moment I stood, his eyes locked on mine as it began to brighten, perspiration covered his face with each deep breath he took.

"I love you," I repeated.

The match continued, Joey lunged with another blow but Ashton was ready, he weaved it like he'd been training his whole life, he had been training his whole life for this.

Immediately countering Joey's strike, Ashton punched back, uppercutting Joey in the jaw as the enemy groaned, staggering to his side of the ropes.

Ashton smirked, wiping the blood on his lips.

There he was, the guy I remembered, the guy who didn't take sh*t from anyone. Immediately the referee asked Joey to leave the ropes, Ashton blazed him with attacks.

Punching him on the stomach, face and ribs, Joey stood no chance. Joey tried blocking but Ashton simply landed more and more blows till he couldn't even resist.

Another blow landed square on Joey's jaw, releasing a splutter of blood and smearing on Ashton's gloves.

Ashton final punch was like a twirling tornado, it landed hard on Joey's face, I feared he had a broken nose.

Joey staggered, his vision clearly blurry as he collapsed on the floor, unable to move.

The bell dinged.

"The winner of this match," the judges announced, "by K.O. Ashton Malik!"

The crowd cheered, Justin threw his popcorn in the air, raising his arms as he clapped and cheered. I smiled.

His eyes found mine, a smile crept on his sweaty handsome lips.

He hoped out of the ring mid way through the judges speech, he made his way to me.

"You came." His voice was soft, blocking out the audience's words. He stood right before me, a simple barricade between us.

I nodded. "I always will... I love you, Ashton."

His eyes were a hazy blue, I could get lost in them, it softened as he mumbled, "I'm tired of playing, Maddie... No more games."

He lifted me from the barricades bridal style, the crowd gasped, watching the scene unfold. Ashton cradled me in his arms and I could feel all his love, every bit of it. It comforted me, protected me.

He gently took me into the ring, dropping me but his arms still wrapped around me. I felt exposed but with him, it felt safe. I stared into his eyes and I could tell what was coming even before he uttered a word.

"I love you... Always have and always will."

I clinged unto him, his warmth was everything. "I love you too."

Things had started off as sh*ty as ever but looking back, I wouldn't change a damn thing. It had started in a small gym and I was glad I'd met him.

Ashton looked into my eyes, cupping my chin ever so gently as he leaned closer, wetting his lips and the crowd went wild.

"Maddison Maurice, would you ever go out with someone like me?" He whispered.

I'd previously let my fears hold me back, I'd been a coward but standing here with him, in the middle of the ring, I felt as courageous as ever. And although I knew problems and troubles would arise, I also knew I wasn't alone. We were going to face it together, whatever it was, Ashton and I were together.

I wrapped my arms around his shoulder, a smile creeping on my lips as I mumbled the only word I could think of, the word I'd always dreamt I'd say to the untouchable Ashton Malik.

"Yes."

He smiled, his lips closing on mine with a bubble of emotions as the crowd erupted with cheers.

The End

•••

Something about writing The End feels so cinematic, I never thought I'd finish this. Although it wasn't that much of a fighters romance as I wanted it to be, I knew something about this story just clicked with me.

Especially when I finished writing the whole thing in less than a month. Yep, a month.

I'm so glad you've come along for this ride and I hope you enjoyed my cringe worthy work, you could have chosen to use this time for something else but here you are, checking out a book by someone you hardly know.

Thank you for having faith in me.

Until we meet again, you can find me on insta (@thea_caylen) or over here, on wattpad.

-Thea