34| Follow Your Heart

Chapter 34: Follow Your Heart.

His voice was soothing and comforting, it was the encouragement I needed to know I wasn't alone, I wiped my tears and sniffed.

"Hello," he said again.

"It's me, dad," I said with relief. This was the first time we'd spoken in years, I was glad he wasn't drunk.

"Maddie? Princess? I've missed you so much..." He muttered causing a smile to spread across my cheeks.

"I've missed you too... Is mom there?" I asked.

There was a silence from the other end, the phone had gone static before he soon replied.

"No... We're not together right now."

"I don't understand... Mom left you?"

"I left her," he said. "I'm not good for your mom, not the way I am right now, I'm an embarrassment...."

"Dad, don't say that, we both love you, we always will," I said with concern, my voice breaking.

"I know, which is why I want to be the father you've always deserved, the husband she needs... I'm in rehab."

A piece of my heart lightened hearing those words as he spoke. I was speechless, dad had willingly taking up rehab for our sake.

"It's not easy but I'm determined to be someone you guys can call family." His voice was filled with so much emotions, I believed him.

"I love you," I mumbled with wet eyes.

"I love you too... Tell me about college, tell me everything."

It felt great talking to my dad about everything and anything, it somewhat reduced the pain I'd been enduring until now.

But my father was perceptive, he could sense it,

"Something isn't right, what's the matter Maddie?" He asked.

I didn't know what to say, I didn't know how he would take what I was about to tell him.

"I hurt someone to keep my scholarship," I said.

"I don't understand... Are they in the hospital?" He mumbled.

"No... I broke their heart and I just may have broken mine in the process... I couldn't risk my scholarship, I couldn't see the disappointment from your faces when you guys found out I lost it, I ju–"

"Shhh" he hushed me, his voice soothimg as tears rolled down my eyes. "It's okay, baby, it is..."

He paused, looking for the right words before he spoke. "Do you love them?" He asked.

I nodded, "yes, very much."

"Then go tell them that, tell them how you feel, honey."

"But my scholarship?"

"If you lose it, that just means it was never meant for you... When your mom had met me, I was a raging mess but she loved me, even though her family hated me. You see, they were wealthy and couldn't imagine her in love with me.

They cut all ties with her but your mom didn't care, she's always been a woman to follow her heart even when she knew it wasn't right. I didn't deserve her but she still loved me, follow your heart, Maddison."

I could hear a person who I presumed was a nurse of some kind telling my dad his time was up and he needed to come take his meds. My heart brightened.

"I've got to go, Princess but remember what I said."

"I will... Always. Thank you dad."

The call ended.

I had to follow my heart, I feared it was going to destroy me but my dad had given me the strength to push forward, even if I lost the scholarship, I knew I had him and that was all that mattered right now.

I rushed back to my living room, searching for the ticket Paul had given me.

It has to be here somewhere.

I searched the kitchen but still couldn't find it, fear dawned on me as I tried to retrace my footsteps. I soon found it in my Oreos cabinet.

Of course, Oreos saves the day.

I smiled as I rushed out of my apartment, not caring I looked like a hag wearing pyjamas and flip flops.

The only thing dying tonight was my fashion.

I pushed into my car, slamming in the key and speeding to the boxing arena.

•••

I was late, I could hear the matches had already begun and I was scared.

Was Ashton's over? Was I too late?

I made my way to the entrance but the security stopped me, eyeing my attire cautiously.

"The place is full," he said. "Only VIP seats available."

"B–but I have a ticket," I stuttered, showing him my ticket.

He scoffed. "This is a regular not VIP. Regulars are full, ma'am... Customers were warned to be here in time so no refunds."

"Please, I need to get in, please," I begged.

"If it was so important, you should have come a little earlier," he retorted.

It was hopeless, I'd let my fears and insecurities come in the way of my feelings, no one was to blame for this but me.

"Maddie?"

I turned to find Justin, a grin on his face as he saw me.

"What are you doing out here?"

"I love him... I need him to know that I love him." I was a rambling mess and tears just kept falling down my eyes.

Justin smirked. "I thought you'd never say so." He turned to the security and immediately paid more for a VIP seat for two, I couldn't believe my eyes as the security allowed us in, Justin guiding me into the roaring arena.

"Thank you... Thank you so much," I mumbled.

Justin had always been there for me, maybe it was because we were so similar but he understood how I felt, he guided me to the front row where gold coloured rows of seats were.

The match was right before me, one just recently ending.

And the final match beginning, the one that every person was dying to see.

I watched as Ashton walked into the ring.

•••

This book has been so much fun to write and it's amazing this is how things end.

Only a chapter left before this book is completely over *WHAT!*

Yes, the next and final chapter will be posted in the next seven hours, I'm so excited. AHHH!

I'm so glad you've come with me for this ride, please consider voting previous chapters you may have forgotten about, I know how eager some readers are they may forget to vote but that does help we writers a lot and helps with the exposure of the book. Thanks

While you wait for the final chapter, you can dive into your next read by checking out any of my other works you're interested in or just checking out my Amazing Writers reading list.

I love y'all and remember:

You are beautiful because you say you are and you hold yourself that way.
-Thea

Ig: @thea_caylen