Chapter 19 - Play the Game

- Clay -

"I just don't get it, dude," Brandon said, handing his credit card to the young woman at the checkout. He had dragged me to the outlet mall to buy a limited edition pair of tennis shoes that cost nearly three hundred dollars. The hideous neon shoes would probably get worn a max of twice—if that—and be relegated to the back of his shoe closet with the rest of the exclusive, rare, or one-of-a-kind pairs that he couldn't live without.

"There's nothing to get," I said. I just wanted to leave the store. I hated the sharp, heavy scent of new leather and that disinfectant spray they put in the shoes to make sure no one was passing along their foot fungus to some poor unsuspecting soul.

Although, I didn't want to bump into Summer. She passed the storefront a few minutes ago, which was how we got onto this subject. Something I'd very much rather drop.

Brandon leaned back against the tall desk, propping his elbows up behind him. "You dated her for like three months. You guys really seemed to have a lot in common. What was the problem?"

"It just didn't work out." I examined the display on the counter to lure in impulse purchasers. I didn't want to keep rehashing my breakup. I thought I was done with this. "I don't even know why you care so much."

"Because I want you to be happy, man." Brandon tapped the back of his hand against my chest. "Just tell me. Was it the sex?"

I sucked in a breath. I looked at the salesclerk, her eyes already trained on me. Averting her gaze, she typed something into the register, swiping Brandon's card.

I stared at the carpet, bringing my foot back to balance it on the toe of my shoe, twisting it back and forth. My cheeks burned, surely turning my face a more audacious shade of maroon than the laces on Brandon's ugly shoes.

"Thank you for shopping with us," the salesclerk said, handing Brandon his receipt and his card. She looked directly at me when she said, "Come again soon."

Brandon barely acknowledged her before he flipped around and started walking toward the exit. I followed right on his heels.

"Excuse me," the cashier said, much too close than she ought to be.

We both stopped and turned. I assumed Brandon forgot something until the young woman offered one of the store's business cards to me. She had written her name and phone number above the store's name. "If you ever want to maybe hang out sometime, call me."

My mouth dropped open. I took the card, almost on autopilot. I didn't know what else to do. It would be rude to shove it back at her.

She smiled at me and whirled around, running back to her post.

Brandon threw his arm around my neck, laughing. He turned me around and dragged me out of the store into the heat. "You lucky son of a bitch. I was gonna come back through later and get her number for myself."

I flicked my hand out to the side, offering him the card. "Now you have it."

"Are you serious? You're not going to call her?" He clearly thought I was foolish for ignoring a sure-thing. I mean, yeah, she was pretty. But I wasn't attracted to her. I barely noticed her before I caught her staring at me.

"No!"

"It's been like a month since Summer dumped you. It's time to move on. Or at least have some awesome rebound sex. You just need to fuck someone new, and you'll be all good."

"I don't want to fuck someone new," I said, far too loudly.

Two gray-haired women walking past us offered matching disgruntled scowls of disapproval. I withered under their glares, stuffing my hands into my pockets, my shoulders slouching forward.