Chapter 57 - A Place in This World

- Emmett -

It didn't take Clay long to get comfortable. After that first kiss, which I felt all the way to my toes, Clay held me and kissed me and danced on me like we were the only people in the room. He was a surprisingly good dancer, and he wasn't shy about trying the same grinding moves as the guys surrounding us.

A few guys on the dance floor checked him out. It wasn't just his suit or his silver hair that made him stand out. He seemed to come alive in this place; his openness made him even more attractive. To me, and to others.

Clay didn't seem to notice the attention he was drawing, or the guys who danced closer to catch his eye. When his eyes were actually open, he only looked at me. He also never took his hands off me. No matter how fast the song, no matter how much the crowd jumped around or jostled us, Clay held me close, occasionally leaning in to kiss me on the lips, or the cheek, or the neck.

After about twenty minutes, I had worked up a sweat and quite a thirst. It was balmy in the club, with so many thrashing bodies on the dance floor. Not to mention the guys getting hot and heavy in the darkest corners of the room.

I left Clay to continue dancing while I went to the bar. "Two bottles of water." I told the hot bartender, wearing a tiny vest without a shirt. I wondered if that was his uniform or if he did that to get more tips.

After a five-minute wait, the guy placed the bottles on the bar and held out a credit card machine for me to swipe my card. I didn't want my mother to see a nightclub on my statement, so I fished out a ten-dollar bill to pay the exorbitant eight dollars for two bottles of water that wouldn't cost even half that at a convenience store. And Dasani no less. They could at least stock Fiji, or even an Evian. Hell, tap water might even be preferable. I walked away, letting the guy keep the extra two dollars.

Clay rushed up to the table I had claimed. He kissed me on the cheek. "I'm pretty sure I just heard two guys having sex in the bathroom."

"I wouldn't be surprised. That happens at clubs. Even straight ones."

Clay laughed. "Also, the guy in line ahead of me gave me his number." Clay raised his hand to show off the numbers inked on his palm along with the name Chris. He seemed surprised by that. It was like he didn't understand how hot he really was.

I felt a spark of jealousy, but I said nothing. I didn't want to ruin Clay's fun with my insecurities.

"I was so stunned when he offered, I couldn't even speak to tell him I have a boyfriend. I just stood there like an idiot." Clay picked up a cocktail napkin and poured some water on it. He scrubbed the number away, discarding the napkin onto the table.

I was more than a little pleased by that. Alfie probably would've programmed that number into his phone for later use.

Clay took my chin in his hand and turned me to face him, leaning in for a kiss. He wasn't shy about this either.

When Clay pulled back, he smiled at me. "Thank you for bringing me here. For showing me what it can be like not to have to worry about being who I am all the time."

I nodded. "I knew you'd like it."

Clay chugged down half his bottle of water in one go. He blew out a cool breath and kissed me quickly with icy lips. "Now, I need my boyfriend to come dance with me." He took my hands and pulled me to the dance floor.

I laughed and hugged Clay. We got caught up in the music and the crowd, enjoying each other. Clay had such a bright smile the whole time. It also brought me joy to be the one to introduce him to this new world where he belonged, where he was free. A place where our love was not only acceptable, but celebrated.