Chapter 40 - Everything Has Changed

- Emmett -

I couldn't recall anything about the accident. All I knew was that I was ecstatic one moment, then I awoke in agonizing pain. My arm was on fire and throbbing. People hovered around me, spouting out words I didn't understand. They shined lights in my eyes. Made me follow along with their finger. They asked my name, the year, the current president. I answered them all, but I had my own questions:

"Where is Clay?"

"What happened to Clay?"

"Is Clay alright?"

If I was in that kind of pain, what must've happened to him? He was much closer to the impact.

The doctors shot something into my IV to calm me down, to stop me trying to escape to find Clay. He was all that mattered.

A different class of pain arose once my mother arrived, furious and terrified. She barked at me for skipping school one second, then kissed my face the next. If the accident didn't give me whiplash, her mood shifts certainly did.

Seeing Clay in one piece flooded me with ebullience—one of Carrie's words. I'd never been so happy to see another human's face in my entire life. Not even that time I got a meet-and-greet with Taylor Swift.

When I first heard about the accident, I worried Clay might take this as some sign from the universe that we were making a mistake. I worried even more when Carrie and Jackson caught us kissing. Clay went so pale, I wondered if he was going to pass out.

I tried to stay focused on him, but Carrie rushed me and started mumbling in my ear. "I love you so much, Emmie. Don't you ever leave me. And don't ever scare me like that again. I can't live without you."

"I'll do my best," I whispered, giving her cheek a kiss.

Thankfully, it seemed like Jackson accepted the information without struggle or prejudice. Though Clay remained tense—even his jaw muscles were rigid—until they left.

A couple hours after Mrs. Miller left, Clay sent Mr. Miller out for drinks, and I sent my mother in search of a better pillow and more blankets. I didn't really need them. I just wanted time alone with Clay. "I'm sorry I called you my boyfriend in front of Jackson. I didn't mean to out you. I'm just kinda scrambled."

Clay placed his arm around me, bringing me close. He kissed my temple. "I'm pretty sure my tongue being down your throat is what outed me."

"So, you aren't mad at me?"

Clay reached up to stroke my cheek. "With this face. How could I ever be mad at you?"

We made out until our parents returned, at which point we cuddled under the blanket my mother brought back, and watched old sitcoms until I fell asleep.

When Janine woke me for my head check, Clay was gone. I scanned the room, only to find it empty. It was dark outside now, where it had been fully daylight just a moment ago.

Noticing my search, Janine said, "Your mom went down to the cafeteria a minute ago. I'm sure she'll be right back."

"Where is Clay?"

"Your boyfriend got tossed out. Visiting hours ended twenty minutes ago." She pointed to the clock on the wall. It was almost nine o'clock. That meant he stayed with me for over an hour while I just slept.

"Oh."

"He did not look happy to leave, though. In case you were wondering."

I smiled.

"He almost ran into a wall because he was staring back at your door like it might disappear if he took his eyes off it."

"How long do I have to stay in here?"