Chapter 52 - I Want to Break Free

- Clay -

The next two weeks dragged by at an agonizing pace, seemingly designed to torture me to the point of madness. My time with Emmett never seemed to be enough. Our secret trysts at the empty house were sadly short-lived. The house sold after only a week of us meeting there. I instantly disliked the couple who moved in. Not because they were bad people—I hadn't even met them. They just ruined the only alone time I got with Emmett, just as I had worked up the nerve to ask him if he wanted to move beyond kissing.

After my week of atonement ended, I was at least able to text him again. We spent hours every night exchanging messages until we fell asleep. A few days after this started, I grew bold and sent a shirtless selfie.

EMMETT: Is that what we're doing?

I regretted the decision.

CLAY: Was that weird? I thought you'd like it. Sorry. I've never done anything like this before.

A moment later, I got a similar picture of Emmett. Though he had gone a step further and was only wearing his boxer-briefs. The effect on me was immediate. I felt a shiver all over and chewed on bottom lip.

EMMETT: Does that answer your question?

We switched from texts to DMs as we sent photos back and forth, each time escalating a bit until we had both seen all of each other.

CLAY: God I wish I was there right now!!!

EMMETT: Why?

I could practically hear the flirty, teasing tone Emmett would have used to say that.

CLAY: I think you know why.

EMMETT: Nope. You're going to have to tell me.

CLAY: If I was there, I'd kiss you.

EMMETT: What else?

CLAY: I'd touch you.

EMMETT: Be more specific.

The phrase "hot under the collar" popped into my mind to describe how I felt typing out all the things I wanted to do with Emmett. Although I was naked, so I didn't know if the phrase still applied. My heart raced as I read over Emmett's replies, his ideas. I didn't know it was possible to have a full body blush, but that's how I felt when Emmett told me what he was currently doing, thinking about me. It seemed only polite to let him know I was doing the same thing.

Needless to say, it was a very good night.

And now Emmett was free. My parents still hadn't budged on the idea of not returning my car, no matter how much I begged. It hurt to see it siting in the garage collecting dust. I assumed they'd give it to Rachel when she turned sixteen in April.

My heart pounded as I waited at Emmett's front door. I wiped my clammy palms on my jeans. It was like the first day I came here all over again. Only I didn't know how much I actually liked Emmett that day.

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs inside. The door opened on Mrs. Noble. "He's in his room."

"And I can go up?" I was hesitant because I hadn't been allowed beyond the living room in three weeks.

"Yes, Clay." Mrs. Noble stepped aside and raised her hand toward the stairs. "Will you tell him I'm going to the grocery store? And text me if he wants anything special."

"Sure." I grinned and ran past her, fleeing up the stairs before she decided Emmett needed another day of penance.

I twisted the doorknob as carefully as I could. I wanted to surprise Emmett.