Chapter 53 - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

- Clay -

"Please!" I dropped to my knees in front of my parents, clasping my hands together.

"Stop being dramatic." Mom said, readjusting herself on the couch. She reached into the bowl of popcorn Dad held, tossing a few pieces into her mouth.

"I'll do anything." I said, moving to sit on the ottoman for the overstuffed chair.

Dad shook his head. "You're not getting the car back."

"Just for this one night. I'm taking Emmett on our first official date, and I want it to be special."

My parents shared a look. They'd gone out of their way to show support for my relationship with Emmett. Every time he came over, they invited him to stay for dinner. Mom even signed up for the PFLAG newsletter. I kept finding pamphlets around the house about accepting your sexuality, coming out, being a parent to a LGBTQIA+ youth, and how to be an ally. A week ago, I found a printout under my pillow about everything a young gay man should know about having a safe and healthy sex life. I couldn't look at her for two days after that. When I caught her shopping for Pride flags online, I put the kibosh on that, reminding her I wasn't fully out. People would be suspicious if we suddenly started flying a rainbow flag out front.

"What do you think?" Mom asked her husband.

"What if I prove I'm responsible?" I offered.

"How?" Dad sat forward, intrigued.

"What if I got a job? You can stop giving me an allowance. I'll even start paying rent if you want."

I could tell by their reactions that last part had been a step too far into drama queen territory, but I was desperate.

My parents looked at each other again. She raised her brows a fraction. He tilted his head. She pursed her lips. He shrugged. They had a whole conversation, barely saying a word.

Mom turned to me. "You can have the car back. For good."

"For real?" That shocked me. I was talking about one night. I never expected to get it back permanently.

She nodded. "But if you don't take this seriously, or you start slacking off in school, the car is getting sold."

I jumped up and rushed over to hug them both in turn. "I love y'all so much."

"Hold on," Dad said. "I'd rather you find a volunteer position, though, and we'll continue your allowance. I don't want you taking a job from someone who actually needs it."

"Totally. I'll start looking first thing in the morning."

I jumped up, ready to flee, but Mom grabbed my wrist. "I have another stipulation."

I worried what more she could ask for. "What? Do you need a kidney?"

My mother grimaced at me. "I want you to see a new therapist."

"Why?"

"You've been going through a lot of big changes lately, and that can trigger your anxiety."

"Things are good now. Emmett and I are together, and you guys know. It's all okay."

She shook her head. "This is nonnegotiable."

"Fine," I muttered.

"Good. Because you have an appointment Wednesday after school."

My mouth fell open. So, I had no choice one way or the other. "Are you serious?"

"Yep. I got his name from one of the ladies in my Southern Mothers of LGBTQ+ Teens Facebook group."