Chapter 42 - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

- Emmett -

When someone knocked on the door of my hospital room, I assumed it was another nurse. Maybe they wanted one last spot check before I left. My mother had just left to go sign the discharge paperwork.

"Come in," I said.

I didn't bother looking up; I was too busy getting dressed. I wanted out of this gown, and this room, and this building with that gross hospital smell of too much oxygen mixed with disinfectant and decaying flowers. I hated hospitals. The sooner I could be out of it, the better.

A pair of hands settled on my waist from behind. The action startled me and I dropped my shirt on the floor. Lips pressed against my shoulder, trailing up to my neck.

I closed my eyes to enjoy the feeling as Clay nibbled on my earlobe. He wrapped his arms around me. I wondered if he knew how much that drove me crazy. He must have, because his hand drifted down my stomach toward my waistband.

"I love having a boyfriend," I murmured.

"Is that what I am?" Alfie's husky voice asked.

My eyes flew open. I bucked my shoulders against Alfie's chest to knock him off before his hand got too far.

I spun on him. "What are you doing here?"

Alfie looked confused. "I came to see you. Jackson told me you were here. That you got in an accident. I was worried about you."

He reached a hand out toward my face, but I jerked back out of his reach. I bent down with a grunt to retrieve my shirt, quickly pulling it over my head.

"Wait." Alfie raised his hands, his brows furrowed in confusion. "If you didn't know it was me, who did you think was kissing you?" His face shifted to anger. "Who is your boyfriend?"

I stared at him with a gaping mouth and a racing heart. I couldn't tell Alfie that Clay was my boyfriend without outing Clay. I wouldn't do that. That was Clay's secret to tell.

"Are you cheating on me?" Alfie growled.

"We're not dating, Alfie. We were only together that one time after the party. It's not cheating."

"Then you're cheating on him with me."

I shook my head, raising my index finger towards him. "No."

"It's one or the other, Emmett."

"It's not. Because you and me were just having fun. Remember? That's what you said in Whitley's bathroom."

"So you went and started fucking some other guy because I don't give you enough attention?"

"I'm not fucking anyone. Not that it's any of your business. Because you are not my boyfriend! And you never will be again after the way you dumped me last year. I was lonely and upset, and you were there. That's all this was." I gestured between us. "And it's over now."

Alfie's lips formed a hard line. He huffed through flared nostrils. When his hands clenched into fists, I wondered if he was going to swing on me.

Alfie flipped around and fled the room without another word.

For a moment, I felt bad that I hurt his feelings. Then I reminded myself why I couldn't be with Alfie in any real way. Which had nothing to do with Clay.