Chapter 13

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville all crouched under Harry's invisibility cloak, and snuck down to the third floor corridor as quickly as possible. When they made it into the door with Fluffy, Hermione cast "Alohamora" and they entered. They removed the cloak and Hermione played the harp while Harry folded the cloak up and shoved it in his pocket. Fluffy was quickly calmed, and feel asleep quite easily before the group's eyes. When the creature had drifted off completely, Neville whispered "Look, the trap door is clear, let's go."

Harry opened the trap door- it looked like a long drop. All four of them starred down.
"Who should go first?" Ron asked.
"I'll go," Harry answered. He took a deep breath and despite the butterflies in his stomach, he jumped.
After falling for a couple seconds, Harry landed hard, on a rather soft surface, unharmed.
"It's ok guys, it's a soft landing." Harry called up.
So all three still at the top jumped, Hermione first, then Neville, and finally Ron.
"Lucky this plant was here," Ron said.
Just then all of them looked down to see the tendrils of the large mass of plant they had landed on creeping around there bodies in a snake like way.
"This is Devil's Snare," Neville explained. "Try to get out your wand, Devil's Snare hates sunlight. If you can produce enough light it will shrivel up and we can get out."
"Lumos!" Harry cried. "Lumos" Neville and Hermione said together. But Ron was still struggling to get his wand hand free. "Lumos," Neville said again and the vines began to recede. He fell through the bottom of the plant mass. "I'm ok, I'm on the other Side." Neville called. Harry and Hermione followed suit "Lumos!" They cast again and they too fell through the bottom and we're safe on the other side. Ron was beginning to panic as he struggled against the vines.

"If we all cast Lumos together right under him, it might be enough to get Ron out." Neville said.
"Let's try it," Hermione replied.
"They all pointed their wands underneath Ron.
"Lumos!" They cried and a massive flash of light filled the area. As Ron screamed they all backed away and Ron fell through the bottom, roughly.
"Lucky we didn't panic." Ron said casually.
"Lucky Neville is good at Herbology." Harry said.
As the group regained their senses, they realized that they were in a dark hallway with a small lamp illuminating the only door.
"Whatever is behind that door must be the next obstacle." Hermione said.
"Then let's go." Harry decided.
The group walked up to the door and went through to find a room full of flying keys, and another door on the other end of the room.

"Hermione, use that spell that unlocks stuff on the door." Ron said.

They walked up to the door. "Alohamora" Hermione cast. Ron jiggled the door handle and "Nothing." He said. "One of those keys has got to unlock this door," Harry said "But which one?"
"Well if you look at the lock, you will see that the key will have two large ridges. And if the key looks anything like this door it will be old and rusty." Hermione explained.

Harry scanned the room. "There at the top." He said gesturing to a key that matched Hermione's description. "If only I had a broom," Harry said.
"You mean like this one," Neville said gesturing   to a broom in the corner. "Perfect" Harry said as he moved swiftly toward the broom. He mounted it and took off after the key like a snitch on the quidditch field. But as he did, all the other keys chased after him. But that hardly stopped him, as Harry was an absolute natural on a broom. Within moments, Harry expertly flew back down to the ground, key in hand. His friend cheered. "Way to go Harry!" Hermione said. "Well done!" Ron agreed. "That was awesome," Neville exclaimed.

"Let's go!" Harry exclaimed as he put the key in the lock.
The door swung open to reveal a life sized Wizard Chess set.

"Can we just walk across?" Neville asked. But when they tried the line of white pawns unshielded their swords, blocking the group's path.

"I think we are going to have to play our way across," Ron declared "Harry, you take the bishop on the left, Hermione you take the right side rook, Neville take the pawn in the middle. As for me, I'll be a knight."
"Now what?" Harry asked. "White moves first, and then, we play." Ron replied.
As the first white pawn made its move, Hermione asked "Do you think this is going to be like real wizards chess?"

Ron shrugged and instructed one of their pawns (not Neville) to meet the white pawn. The white pawn attacked, destroying the black pawn in the process.

"Yes, Hermione, I think this is going to be exactly like wizards chess." Ron answered.

Ron lead the group through an expertly played game of chess. Until the pinnacle moment came- Ron was two moves away from being able to take the Queen. But he knew that if he moved towards her she would attack him. Then, Ron noticed that if he did that, Harry's path was wide open to take the King.
Ron called to Harry "Harry, after this move, you have to take the King, got it?"
Harry realized what Ron was planning. "Ron, no you cannot sacrifice yourself!" Harry called.

"This is the only way for you to get to Voldemort. And it has to be you who to stop him." Ron cried. Harry opened his mouth to protest, but no words came out. "Knight to E4!" Ron yelled. As his piece moved toward the Queen he whispered "Check."

The Queen came at him at full speed moments after he landed on his intended square. And then, she ran her sword thru the horse Ron sat on, and he fell to the ground with the rubble clattering around him.
Hermione started to move as tho to rush to Ron's aid, but Harry stopped her. "Remember we are still playing!" he yelled.

Harry made his move as Ron instructed and he took the King. "Checkmate!" He yelled, and the game was over.
Then, everyone rushed to Ron's side. Hermione felt his wrist. "He's still alive. I think he will be ok." she said. "I'll stay with him. You two go on," Neville said.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked. "Yes, I'm sure." Neville replied.

So Harry and Hermione went through the next door alone together.

When they entered they found an already unconscious troll, and just moved on to the next room. There was a wall of fire in the back. In front of it there was a table with several potions and a piece of parchment .

The parchment read:

Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind,
Two of us will help you, whichever you would find,
One among us seven will let you move ahead,
Another will transport the drinker back instead,
Two among our number hold only nettle wine,
Three of us are killers, waiting hidden in line.
Choose, unless you wish to stay here for evermore,
To help you in your choice, we give you these clues four:
First, however slyly the poison tries to hide
You will always find some on nettle wine's left side;
Second, different are those who stand at either end,
But if you would move onwards, neither is your friend;
Third, as you see clearly, all are different size,
Neither dwarf nor giant holds death in their insides;
Fourth, the second left and the second on the right
Are twins once you taste them, though different at first sight.

Hermione began to reason it out aloud. "
Since the giant bottle is not poison and it is a twin to the second from the left, the second and sixth one are the nettle wine...Therefore, two of the poisons are to the left of these, first and fifth...The ones at each end are different and since we know the left end is poison, both nettle wines have been found, and it will not help you move onwards, the rightmost bottle sends you back, the 7th. I will drink that one.... the blue bottle, the smallest, could not be the poison, so it must contain the potion to go ahead while the yellow bottle was the third bottle with poison. Harry, you have to drink from the little blue bottle."

"Good luck Hermione. I'll see you on the other side." Harry said.
"You to," Hermione said "and Harry, you're a great wizard."

"Not as good as you..." Harry said.
"Me? Books and cleverness! Harry, there are more important things like friendship and bravery." Hermione said.

Hermione picked up the potion on the far right, and Harry picked up the little blue bottle. Hermione disappeared before Harry's eyes. And he walked through the wall of flames...

*****
Author's note
I would like to credit Harry Potter wiki, because I took the potion riddle and solution from their site.