Chapter 10

The next night Brian was over in Jersey recording a podcast while JJ relaxed at home. Well, relaxed wasn't exactly the right word. Her tv played in the background but she paid no attention to it, her mind busy trying to wrap around the events that transpired the night before.

Could I really be falling in love with my best friend?

As hard as she tried JJ couldn't answer that question. Not by herself anyway. Which is exactly why she called the one person, besides Brian, who she told everything to. Pretty much the only female friend in her life. Bessy Gatto.

A knock on JJ's front door got her attention as she stood up from the couch to go answer it.

"Hey!" Bessy smiled, walking into the house and giving JJ a hug.

"Hey Bess." JJ greeted, closing the door and following her friend into the kitchen.

"So, I don't know what you wanted to talk about but it sounded important therefore I brought..." Bessy started as she dug into the bag she was carrying. "Wine!" She exclaimed holding up the bottle and smiling.

"You are a fucking goddess." JJ groaned grabbing them both a wine glass to fill up. After a little bit of catching up in the kitchen and ordering some take out the two moved into the living room settling onto the couch.

"So..." Bessy turned to face JJ better, crossing her legs where she sat. "What did you wanna talk about?"

"Honestly I just needed a girl talk." JJ admitted. "I work at a firehouse full of men all day and then hang out with my guy friends at night. And as much as I love them all, I need a fucking break." She sighed, sipping the red liquid from her glass.

"Tell me about it. The only two people I've seen for the last two weeks is Joe and Milana." Bessy agreed but could still tell there was something more that JJ wanted to say. "Why else did you call me here?" She questioned.

"Cause you're one of my best friends." JJ answered trying to avoid the one thing she actually did call Bessy for.

"Okay sure." Bessy said playfully rolling her eyes. "I know you. There's something else." She told her, narrowing her eyes at JJ. "Come on! Just tell me!" She laughed, taking another sip of her wine.

"Bess, I think I'm losing my mind." JJ whined, dropping her head back against the couch.

"Care to explain?"

JJ rolled her head to the side against the couch cushion, finally looking at her friend. Her shoulders slumped and she sank fully into the sofa hoping it would just swallow her whole.

"I think...I think I'm falling in love with Brian." She muttered quietly, not sure if she really wanted to admit it out loud. But it was too late for that now. JJ watched Bessy's eyes widen the slightest bit as she looked at JJ, shocked by the sudden confession.

"Brian- as in Q?" Bessy asked receiving a nod from JJ. "Brian Quinn?" JJ once again nodded her head yes. Bessy looked around the room trying to process the news but in all honesty she wasn't that shocked. She let out a small laugh earning a weird look from the woman beside her. "I'm sorry but I'm honestly not surprised." She shrugged.

"What's that supposed to mean?" JJ asked, now sitting up fully.

"First of all, you two flirt with each other like all the time. It's maddening." Bessy said rolling her eyes. "Second of all, you guys have so much in common you're literally perfect for each other. Yet there's also things where you're complete opposites and it just makes you all the more perfect for each other." She shrugged leaving JJ to sit there silently in disbelief.