33: Makeout With Me

Naeun.

Why.....and how?

After enrolling into the school, I've been overloaded with the incredible stress of my boxing career, and Jungkook himself; rendering me speaking to Naeun less and less. On the day of the Preliminaries , as I was about to inform her of my upcoming match— she suddenly cut all contact.

And now.....Naeun's here?

There were so many questions and so little time. As I stepped forward with enlarged eyes, Naeun stares coldly at me when she catches a glimpse of Jungkook.

"I thought you came here to be a top boxer." Her bitter eyes was intent on Jungkook who raised a brow, but I knew she was directing it to me.

She was my friend since childhood, and I knew. I knew she wanted me out of here. But I can't leave, not when I got this far....

"Naeun, can we tal—

"I'll be direct." Naeun cuts me off, furrowed brows and crossed arms. "Father acquired this school."

.....Father?

It clicked. Naeun's father is a powerful politician; and must have acquired the legal rights to this private school. However, it didn't make any sense. Why did Naeun stop replying me, and why is her father suddenly in possession of the school now?

The headmaster's expression changes as she seems to analyse what is going on. She definitely knew that Naeun and I was once close, but I didn't think she knew that Naeun's presence is being a threat to me.

"....Why did he...?" the questions start to sputter from my mouth. I was confused, with unanswered uncertainties floating around my head like an overcast cloud.

The clouds around me started to thunder in imminent danger when Naeun's eyes darkened. Her expression thickens with tension, and she stands up, looking straight at me.

"I asked him to." Naeun quietly mumurs. "So I had a reason to meet you here."

I raised a brow. "Naeun, you could've just came here or responded to my texts, wh—

"Come back."

......what?

Naeun sighs. "Come back. You won't make it as a boxer. You have to come back. You're struggling."

At this moment, my fists clenched in absolute anger. I was about to hit her when Jungkook holds me back, his worried and gentle hug manages to soothe my nerves.

"I know I sound ridiculous, blocking your texts and asking you to come back. But trust me, I can't see you like this anymore. You lost to Jaegyu. You need to come back, there's no hope here."

The anger and frustration surges in my system, unknown negative energies mixing in complicated concoctions, rendering me unable to speak. I felt as if there was a tight knot in my throat, and my breathing starts to get intense, eyes welling up with stinging tears.

I didn't want to admit it.

After losing to Jaegyu, my self esteem has plummeted down to nothing. I went into a cycle of practice to hone my boxing skills, but to no avail. It almost seemed like all these was leading me nowhere. I wasn't angry at Naeun; I was angry at myself.

"I'm doing this as tough love. Please." Naeun shuts her eyes, avoiding contact. "Come back."

As Jungkook listens carefully, he slips a hand reassuringly into mine, pushing me behind his back.