23: A Malicious Intent

Kwon....Jaegyu...?

"What are you staring at?" A taller shadow overcasts me, and a hand pushes my chin up. My eyes locked with Jungkook's.

When the male diverts his attention back to the board, he notices my name plastered right underneath the open class category. His eyes widened as well, lips slightly apart.

"You're in the hardest category." He mumbles slightly, in disbelief.

"Is that a good or bad thing?" I ask, and he sighs, slumping his body onto mine in a back hug.

"Both." Jungkook answers. "I'd like to beat the shit out of my opponent, but if it turns out to be you...."

He stops mid sentence, as if he was hesitating to continue. I waited, but Jungkook just burrows his head on my shoulder.

"If it turns out to be me?..." I gestured him to finish what he said.

"Then," Jungkook's fingers travel smoothly to my cheeks, turning them to face him. "I might not be able to focus."

As I opened my mouth to reply, a loud groan startles the both of us.

And when we turned to look, a lone figure stood in the middle of the ring, biting the bandages on his hand with cold, rusted sweat. Taehyung. His eyes seemed different, somehow; a certain flare that darkened his entire demeanor. His chest glistened under the harsh light of the ring as it heaves heavily from his match. Taehyung wipes off the blood at the corner of his lips, before taking out his mouth brace.

The boxer-turned-temporary referee signalled his win. Taehyung's opponent lies shuddering on the ground, not from the impact— but from fear.

Taehyung looks completely different in the ring.

The next person to use the ring was supposed to be us, but one of the boxing seniors ran up the ring, claiming his spot. It was a sickly tradition in this school that the seniors were allowed to boss the juniors around, and even claim their equipment.

"Mind if I borrow the ring next?" Jungkook walks up to him politely, in which he pauses. He stares at Jungkook before diverting his eyes back to me.

"Sure." He says, but his expression turns smug. "That is....If you beat me first."

"Referee?" Jungkook questions.

"Him." The senior's eyes pierced right through me. "That puny guy. He's the judge."

I gulped. I knew and studied about the rules and how to referee a match, but I wasn't professional at it. I prepared myself and nodded.

But before we could commence the match, Jungkook quietly passes the senior a headgear.

"Don't need it." He shuns it away, but at that moment— for a split second, I saw a deadly spark in Jungkook's eyes that I've never witnessed before. A spark that signified that it was business.

"Trust me," Jungkook smiled slightly. "You'll need it."

I watched as the senior stood still for a while, reluctantly putting on his headgear and mouth brace. Jungkook opted for nothing.

"Hey, don't get cocky now. Wait till you get beaten up into a pulp." The senior clicks his tongue, but Jungkook paid no attention.

"Round one....Start!" I commence the match.

And right then and there— that split moment, it ended. In 2 seconds, with a straight punch and a counter from the right. The senior's mouth brace flew across the ring and onto the floor, making a clacking sound as it hits the ground.

"H-he's unconscious !" I ran up to him, my head clouded with panick. The others stood watching in awe.

"Bring him to the medical room in the building." Jungkook instructs me. "He just fainted, no bones were broken because he wore the gear."

I nodded, dragging him with the help of the rest of the boxers.

As I turned around to take one last look at Jungkook before I leave, he seems to wear an expression.

An expression of worry.

________________________________________

[KWON JAEGYU'S POV]

"Hyung-nim...Are you sure?" The junior boxer questions timidly. "It's Jungkook you're talking about."

"I know. And I know that the Soa person or whoever he is, seems to be an important friend to that jerk." Jaegyu smiles slightly. "I'll beat him up, and I'll see the anger on Jungkook's face."

"Then....I'll beat the crap out of him too."

"Jungkook is a skilled boxer, maybe even on par with you. Are you....sure?" The junior hesitates.

"I'm sure." Jaegyu replies.

"...He won't know what's in store for him."

A/N: Early Chapter 24 : Arising Suspicions is uploaded on Patreon already ! 😊❤️

Thank you so much all for waiting and supporting me, always. ❤️😫