2: Until I Met You

Chapter 2

The next few days were mostly spent just helping my mom unpack the pile of boxes we had stacked up, while also making sure that everything we had boxed up had arrived here safely.

As we unpacked, I realized how much stuff we actually had stored in our old house; chairs, dishes, clothes, furniture, and old memories from the attic. Everything seemed to have showed up miraculously as we spent days putting together the interior of our new home.

Also, on one of the first days we moved here, my mom and I took a quick trip down to the paint store and collected different colours to for my bedroom, and the other plain rooms. I never was a stand-out kind of person so I went for a lighter lilac shade for my bedroom and a sky blue for my bathroom.

The days dragged on and before I knew it, August was almost over and we had already been living in Avondale for over two weeks.

However, as the time passed I realized I wasn’t really trying to change like I said I would. I wasn’t going out to visit the beach, I wasn’t taking a tour around town, and I definitely wasn’t trying to find any friends to relate to.

Waking up the next day, my eyes were immediately affected by the sun shining into my bedroom through my new white curtains. I had completely forgotten to close them the night before because I still wasn’t used to having curtains in my bedroom, but I made a mental note to remember to pull them shut tonight. The sun definitely wasn't something that I enjoyed seeing first thing in the morning.

Rolling over in my bed, cuddling further into the warmth of my comforters, my eyes landed on my bedside clock which currently displayed bright red numbers telling me that it was already quarter after ten.

Inwardly groaning, knowing I would have to get out of bed eventually, I let my warm comforters fall down to my waist as I sat up and raised my arms above my head to stretch out my sleeping muscles. Slipping out of the blankets, I still wasn't used to being met with the warm air and the smell of the sea first thing in the morning, instead being accustomed to the cold air from back home.

As a feeling of happiness flowed slowly through my body, I decided that today would be the day that I finally got out of this house and started to explore the rest of the city. Using my new found motivation, I walked around my maze of a room, which was still crammed with a few boxes that hadn’t been unpacked yet, and headed to my en-suite bathroom to get ready and start my day.

After taking a quick shower, brushing my teeth, and working the blow dryer for a couple of minutes, I was now searching my clothes for a beach appropriate outfit. As a lot of my clothes were still packed away in boxes, I only had a few outfits hanging in my closet that I could choose from.

After a quick decision, I grabbed a pair of denim shorts and a cute Aztec tank top off of their hangers and threw them on. Returning to my bathroom, I looked in the mirror and decided to braid my slightly damp hair to the side before swiping the tiniest amount of mascara onto my eyelashes, along with a bit of lip balm before flicking the light switch off and heading downstairs.

Walking through the house, I realized how quickly the décor had changed in just a short amount of time. Two weeks ago, there had been no furniture or decorations even remotely close to being assembled, but now there were a few pictures mounted onto the walls. Also, most of our old furniture, along with a few new pieces, had been added and it was actually beginning to feel a bit like home.