6: Until I Met You

Chapter 6

As I stood there for a second in a state of shock, I only regained control of my senses when Diana’s voice registered in my brain.

“Cason, this is Miss. Hartley.” Diana said, waving her hand in my mom’s direction before continuing. “And this is her daughter Jessalyn.”

Cason quickly took his eyes off of me, sending a small smile towards my mom before returning his speculating gaze back to me. “Yeah,” he said, “we’ve actually met already.”

“You have?” both of our mothers asked simultaneously.

I slowly nodded my head as I turned away from Cason and faced our moms. “Yeah, we go to school together actually.” I replied nervously.

As if realizing something, Diana’s eyes grew slightly before she nodded. “Oh that’s right! Since there’s only one high school in the area you must attend together.” she explained. “I guess I just wasn’t thinking.”

As she finished, nobody really said anything and I think we could all sense that the atmosphere floating around the room at the moment was definitely full of awkwardness.

“So,” my mom started, breaking the deafening silence that surrounded us, “do you guys talk at school or are you basically strangers?”

“Umm… we don’t really talk at all.” I replied shyly, not once glancing behind me to see Cason’s reaction to my mother’s question.

Before my mother could accept this answer as the truth, I felt Cason take a step towards me as he took up the empty space that stood beside me. “Don’t lie to your mother Jessa, it just isn’t polite.” he stated as I felt his gaze on me.

Whipping my head in his direction with bulging eyes, I knew that he was joking however; I could see that a small smirk was forming on his lips.

“Miss. Hartley,” he started, turning his body to face my mother but couldn’t continue as my mom cut him off.

“Call me Wendy why don’t you Cason.” she said with a small smile on her face.

Rolling my eyes slightly at her motherly tone, I saw Cason nod beside me in acceptance. “Wendy, you should know that Jessa and I actually sit together in English and we’re quite close.” he stated, making my eyes bulge even more as he was blatantly lying to my mother. “Isn’t that right Jessa?” he asked, turning to look at my shocked face with an eyebrow raised and a conniving smirk plastered on his face.