chapter 6

George took a deep breath, looking intently at the door in front of him. "You got this..." he'd been telling himself that for the past five minutes, standing in front of the door to his house. He knew he wanted to go inside, he'd just got back from the nether and he was all kinds of sore and in a dire need of a shower. He looked like he fell in a fireplace with how much ash he was covered in, soot covering his face where he touched.

"This is ridiculous," George muttered, going to open the door. There was no reason he should be so nervous to enter his own home, so what if there was a practically invisible person potentially anywhere. George walked into the quiet house and shut the door behind him, but he didn't go any further than that. He found himself looking at the floor, to make sure nothing was there. Once he was sure the floor was clear he cautiously made his way to the hallway, going into his storage room. He dropped off the loot he managed to get from the nether, some blaze rods and a lot of half broken crossbows.

Once he finished storing everything he headed back out, intending to go to the living room. Only to pause when he passed his bedroom door, the mask... was it still there? George felt his curiosity grow as he turned around, going into the room. His eyes landed on the desk and frowned, slightly disappointed when the mask still laid on the desk. Carefully George picked up the white mask, bringing it closer to look at it better this time. It was a simple mask, made out of some kind of lightweight material with a simple smiley face design painted on. Which meant this person definitely had the intelligence of a human, you didn't make a mask like this and know what a smiley face meant without some kind of intelligence.

Somehow that brought a small amount of relief to him, this whole situation would go a lot more smoothly if he could actually communicate with them. George kept the mask in his hand when he left the room, headed for the living room. Once he made it to the couch he let himself fall on it tiredly. He laid face down on the couch, not worrying about the ash he was definitely getting everywhere. He blindly reached for the table within arms reach, gently setting down the mask before letting his arm drop to hang off the side of the couch.

That nether trip was way more trouble than he thought it would be. He had almost fallen in lava at least three times and a ghast had broken his gold helmet so every piglin in sight was attacking him. And Sapnap was busy fighting off the blaze so he took some damage fighting those stupid piglins. So here he was wanting nothing more than a nap after that hellish trip, pun intended.

George felt his heart rate slowed down as he laid there, letting his eyes close just for a second. He wasn't sure when he fell asleep, only focused on how comfortable the couch was.

Dream frowned behind his mask, feeling that irritating flicker of worry again. He had heard the human coming back while he was walking through the tunnels and decided to take a break from his walking. He was searching for a place to set up a temporary base, he had considered using the abandoned borrower house but rejected the idea as soon as it reached him. Something about disturbing that house just felt wrong to him. So he was walking through the tunnels while munching on his borrowed bread, when he heard the steps of the front porch creak. A noise he was starting to get familiar with, one that meant a human was returning.

But this time instead of continuing his search, he had decided to see which human was coming back. Using one of his newly found entrances, he came out right on top of that tall cabinet he had spotted when he first got to the house. It wasn't as tall as he initially thought, only about six feet. Which for him was a colossal height and a guaranteed death if he fell, but to George it would probably be only a little taller than him.

Se here he sat crossed legged on the cabinet, further back so he would be hard to see. But still holding a good view of the living room and the further away kitchen. He stayed quiet when the door creaked open, and watched as the human stumbled in. That was when he felt that irritating flicker of worry, George looked like shit. He was covered in ash and his armor looked burnt and cut so bad he would definitely need to repair them before using them again. His hair was an absolute mess, sticking up like he was struck by lightning. What could have done that to him?