Chapter 28

Sapnap spun in a slow circle, turning to gauge how many mobs he was looking at fighting. He had spotted at least four spiders from the red eyes glowing in the dark. But he could also hear a couple zombies groaning, and he was sure a skeleton was mixed in somewhere.

Not too bad a fight, but he was crippled a bit. He needed to move carefully, lest he hurt Dream somehow. But he had been expecting this battle from the moment he stepped into the caves, there always was one.

Sapnap laid his hand on the cold handle of his blade, carefully pulling it from its sheath. The blue diamond blade glimmered in the dark, promising to add to its collection of mobs slain. He felt a smirk creep onto his face, his pulse speeding up. This was why he loved the caves, the fight. Always having to watch your back, be ready to fight for your life every second you breathe. He loved it.

That's when he felt it, the hairs on his arm rose. He jumped to his left just in time, seeing a spider land right where he stood. It hissed angrily at him, fangs dripping with venom. Its eight legs beat against the ground, sizing him up for a fight.

He grinned, jumping forwards and planting his blade through its head before it could make another move. It disappeared in a second, body disintegrating in a puff of smoke. He turned around, sword held high as a second spider emerged from the darkness.

He let this one jump toward him, waiting until it was a few feet in front of him before jumping to the side. He swung his sword down hard as it passed, slicing it clean in half. He barely glanced as it disappeared into smoke, already looking for the next enemy.

Sapnap let out a puff of air, a grin on his face as the mob's blood dripped down his blade. "C'mon! Don't just watch!" he taunted the zombie standing in the shadows, watching dumbly.

It let out a groan, lifeless eyes focusing on him as it stumbled forward. Sapnap took a few steps back, letting it walk out into the intersection. He waited just long enough to let it get within swinging range before taking it down. He stuck his sword straight through its chest, watching it disappear in smoke on his blade.

Dream held on as Sapnap cut down another mob, clearing through them like they were nothing. The borrower had a pretty good grip on the hem of the human's shirt, keeping himself steady enough to watch the battle.

But it was odd, the more he watched Sapnap the more he noticed oddities. Like how heat waves were radiating off the man, way more than a human should be imitating. Or his eyes, how they seemed to glow a low orange in the darkness. It was the same color as fire, the same fire of the torch on the wall.

Dream grimaced as he suddenly moved again. He focused more on holding on now, instead of watching the battle.

Finally he did it, after cutting down countless mobs, silence fell over the pair. Blood dripped off the cool blue blade, now painted dark red. He breathed heavily, looking around for anything else to cut down.

Once Sapnap deemed the area clear he relaxed, letting out a breath he didn't know he was holding. He wiped his blind on his pants, getting most of the blood off before sheathing it.
"Oh" he said in surprise, trying to look over once he remembered Dream was there. "You ok Dream?"

Dream gave a shaky laugh, releasing his death grip in the shirt. "Doing great" he said, actually meaning it. "That was awesome" he said with an out of breath laugh, looking out at what was left of the mobs.

Sapnap laughed, walking over to the wall to take back his torch. "We should be near the exit now, probably a few more minutes of walking."

Dream sighed in relief, relaxing in his seated position. "Sounds good to me"