Chapter 31

"Seven!"

"Eight"

"Ten!"

"No way! Cheater!"

"Prove it!"

Something whizzed past his ear, landing with a thud in front of him. Tubbo stared in shock at the acorn laying in the grass, rolling in place. Slowly he turned around, the shock in his eyes melding into anger. The second he saw him he locked eyes with equally shocked bright blue eyes.

"Wow wow hold on, that was an accident! C'mon Tubbo I didn't mean that" Tommy pleaded, raising his hands in front of him to ward off the anger in his brother's eyes. His eyes widened further when Tubbo dropped the bag he was holding, letting the collected acorns roll out.

"Oh shi-'' Tubbo didn't let him finish, cutting him off by diving towards him with a shriek of anger.

Tommy let out a yelp, taking the impact of his brother full force. They both rolled to the ground, wrestling to get the other pinned down.

"That could have hit me, you prick!" Tubbo managed to pin Tommy's arms to the grassy ground. Glaring daggers at him as he struggled to keep the position.

"You cheated!" Tommy yelled back, shoving the borrower off of him. He rolled over to be on top of Tubbo, in turn pinning his arms down. "Admit you cheated!"

Tubbo glared up at him, tugging at his arms to try and free them. "I didn't cheat! I'm just better than you!" He wrapped one of his legs around the leg, pinning him down, using his brother's weight to drag him down to the ground with him.

Tommy yelped, hitting the ground with a wheeze. He glanced over, watching Tubbo try to stumble to his feet. "Liar!" He yelled, kicking his leg out to knock Tubbo off balance, making him fall to the ground.

Tubbo let out a wheeze, getting the breath knocked out of him. They both stopped for a moment, trying to recover their sore ribs.

After a few moments Tommy slowly extended his hand out in a weak offering of a handshake. "Truce?" he whispered, panting to get his breath back under control.

Just as slow, Tubbo reached out and gave him a loose handshake. "Truce." Neither of them got up after that, staying on their backs on the grass.

They sat in comfortable silence for a while, looking up at the soft blue sky. It was a surprisingly warm day today, not a cloud in the sky. It looked achingly like a nice summer day, full of cool water and soft grass. The sun shone cheerily in the sky, lighting up the land for miles to see.

For just a moment, they could pretend they were home, back in the house they grew up in. taking a break from foraging, resting in the sun while Wilbur made fun of them for being lazy. But he would join them just moments after mocking them, laying down in the grass between them.

Sometimes they would play a game Wilbur had taught them, called bird spotting. They would sit there and see if they could spot a bird, first person to spot one won the game. Of course Tommy and Tubbo always spotted the same bird, so it usually ended up being two out of three.

Tommy flicked his gaze up, looking towards the old oak tree that hung heavy leaves above them. He could see the clusters of acorns in its leaves, the same shade of green as the leaves. But soon they would turn brown, just as the ones on the ground, and fall all the way down.

He flicked his gaze up as he spotted movement, seeing rustling in the leaves. He gasped in surprise, pointing towards it before Tubbo could see it. "Bird! I win!"

"What?" Tubbo looked up too, scanning the leaves until he saw it too. "Aww man" he huffed in disappointment, having been on the look out for birds too. The bird just ruffled its soft blue feathers, ignorant to the games below.