Chapter 13

“Tommy. Tooooomy wake up!” Tubbo sighed in exasperation, hearing Tommy mumble less than polite ways of saying go away. The sun was high in the sky now and he wanted to go borrowing. They had been traveling for the entire night and had set up camp just before the sun rose, most of the Nomads calling it a night. Of course Tommy wasn't the only one sleeping, others lay buried beneath their blankets, scattered about the camp. They had gone to another of their well used locations this time, following the usual Nomad route. This one was under a small shed that had been abandoned long ago, before they even found it. The lifted floor left a perfect gap for them to set up camp beneath the old wood. There wasn't much of a roof or walls left on the shed, really only the floor and a broken chest or two. The years had worn away the old shed long ago, but it still made a great shelter for Nomads.

The spots Nomads stopped at were fairly well known with borrowers who frequented the world more than others, just to make sure they knew where safe places were. It wasn't uncommon to find borrowers already staying here when the Nomads came through, seeking shelter from storms or wild animals.

But that wasn't what he was focused on right now, he was already familiar with the old shed. What he was focused on was the human houses nearby, probably full of good food and material. He had run out of yellow dye the other day and wanted to find some more for his drawings, missing the bright color. The only problem was Tommy refused to wake up, choosing to burrow deeper into the blanket to fight away what was left of the morning chill. It was still morning here, the dew clinging to the grass told as much. He could feel the slight chill in the air nipping at his fingers, making him hide them under his arms to ward off the cold.

Tubbo rolled his eyes, nudging Tommy again with his foot. “C'mon get up” he was once again ignored for his efforts. But when he remembered which house was nearby he got a gleam in his eye, looking back at the upset look on what was visible on Tommy's face. “What if I told you we could go by that human's house? Y'know, the one that thinks he's haunted” that's seemed to get Tommy's attention, as he squinted against the sunlight up at Tubbo. “Only if we go there first...” Tubbo smiled and nodded, dropping Tommy's already prepared borrower bag in front of him. “Of course, now c'mon! Let's go!”
Tommy grumbled a few complaints about the cold as he slowly emerged from his blankets, rubbing his arms for warmth the moment the chill hit him. He quickly put on his gear, hoping the layers would help warm him up. He mostly slept with his gear on, choosing to leave off his leather armor and boots while he slept. So it didn't take him long to slip on the boots, tying the laces and going for his armor. That was easy enough to get on, mostly worrying about his glider being ready to go at any second. Once he deemed himself ready he turned back to the impatiently waiting Tubbo, slipping his bag over his head. “Alright, I'm ready”

Tubbo wasted no time in turning towards the exit, knowing Tommy would sluggishly follow. The way out from under the shed was a small hole in the fencing running around the underside of the shed. He walked quickly across the soft dirt, feeling the rays of light shining through the cracks in the wood overhead. It gave the place a small amount of light, still leaving it dim enough to comfortably sleep.
Once Tubbo made it to the exit he looked back at Tommy, glad to see he was waking up rather quickly. Of course he was still walking like a zombie with his eyes half closed, but that was better than his usual refusal to walk until he woke up properly. “Do you remember the way there?” he received a tired glare at that, “of course i remember the way” he held back a small laugh as Tommy stomped by, taking the lead.

They traveled a bit more carefully than usual, weary of the now awake humans. Usually they would do all exploring at night or in the woods, but they had to go a more direct route this time. The house they were going for was across the road running along the forest and just on the edge of a hill. It was harder to see, only one side of the house facing out of the hill it was built into. The house had two floors and a basement, where they knew the storage chests were kept. Usually not many borrowers would go near this house due to the snow, considering how close it was to the snow biome it was covered in a thick layer almost all year. Thankfully now they were in summer so the ground was clear, leaving only cold dew covering the ground.