chapter 19

"Ok ok ok focus, this is easy. Just say what you need and get out" Dream muttered, hoisting himself over an annoying big stick in his path. His leg had numbed out a bit a few minutes ago, whether that was a good or bad thing has yet to be decided. George wasn't far now, he was sitting cross legged on the dirt with his side facing Dream just a few feet ahead. George hadn't spotted him at all, no surprise with how well his clothes camouflage with the thick plant cover. But it was a small relief to Dream, it gave him some time to figure out how to get George's attention.

Dream stopped getting any closer when he had just a couple feet between himself and the suddenly tall figure in front of him. It was easy to forget how tall humans were when you watched them from so far away, but now that he was so close there was no denying it. Dream fell perfectly under the long shadow George cast on the ground, shielding him from the glaring sun. Now he just had to get George to see him.

Dream looked around the area thoughtfully, only seeing the thick plant stems and occasional bug crawling by. He was just about to start walking around in search of something helpful when he felt something scurry by his foot. Looking down, he was relieved to see just a little Pill bug curiously poking at his boot. These were one of the few bugs he didn't mind getting near him. Growing up in the woods he had always had a pill bug around, or as his mother always called them, Rolly Pollys. He remembered when he would try and sneak the smaller bug into his room when his mother wasn't looking. But his plan to keep the pollys was always foiled when his mother spotted the crudely hidden bug peeking out from under his bed.

Dream smiled softly behind his mask, reaching down to gently pick up the bug. He chuckled when it rolled into a tightly sealed ball, startled from being picked up. "Hey little polly, are you here to help me? I need to find something to get that giant over their attentions" Dream gestured over to George sitting a little ways away. He smiled when two little whiskers peaked out of its defense. These bugs were always skittish at first but once they realized you weren't a threat they were quick to play.

Slowly he watched the ball unroll in his hands. He tried to hide his laugh when the bug unrolled upside down, wiggling its many legs in the air to try and right itself. "That's alright, I've got you" he gently flipped it around and laid it on his arm, smiling when it gripped tight enough to hold on. Thankfully this one seemed to be a baby so it was just around the size of his hand, easy to carry on his arm. He couldn't help but laugh when the polly crawled up his arm and to his shoulder, little legs tickling his neck. "Alright alright no need for that" Dream reached up and gently grasped the polly, attempting to pull it off. He shot it an amused look as best he could at the awkward angle when it refused to leave, holding on tight to his shirt. He sighed quietly and released the bug, giving it an exasperated look. "C'mon, i've got stuff to do" as he expected the polly didn't respond, just holding onto his shoulder stubbornly.

Dream smirked when he remembered something he learned long ago about pollys. Slowly he reached a hand up towards its face, seeing its stubbornly squinted eyes. He gently started rubbing between its eyes, laughing when its grip instantly relaxed. He easily pulled it off and set it on the ground, seeing how it stayed relaxed. He left the polly at that, getting back to his original goal.

Dream turned away and set out again on his search. He walked at an angle to walk around George while he searched, all the while thinking of how best to get his attention. He was pretty distracted by his daydreaming, only gently pulling the weeds out of the ground in front of him. He could just walk in front of George and wait to be seen, but that would put him at a couple disadvantages. It wasn't that he distrusted George but he definitely had a healthy dose of caution. Going there would leave him well in grabbing range with nowhere to escape to, he wasn't as quick as George so he would have to rely on his camouflage.