Word Vomit

"So you're going to sleep in the car?"

"Honestly, doesn't sound too bad right now"

Daniel gets out of the trunk, getting the last bag and we head inside. As expected, my parents are on the ground playing with the kids. Dad looks up, rolling his eyes as he looks at Daniel before he looks back down at Theo who's talking about nothing in particular.

"See? I'm going to be dead before we can make it back to LA" Daniel whispers, clutching onto the bags tighter

"You're overreacting" I giggle, taking Daniel upstairs to my old bedroom.

As I pushed open the door, my body cringes as Daniel lets out a laugh. My parents really didn't change a damn thing.

"One Direction? Come on" Daniel laughs

My cheeks grow red from the amount of One Direction posters stuck to my wall and the barbies they once had. I was an obsessed fan, and I have absolutely no regrets.

"You know, you sleeping in the car is starting to sound good right now"

I place down the bags in my hands at the end of the bed, Daniel does the same before wrapping his hands around my waist and I lean my head back onto his shoulder.

"Thank you, for convincing me to come"

~

We make it to dinner with success! There was no awkwardness between my parents and Daniel, mostly because they didn't really talk but that was still fine with me! As long as no one was arguing, then I was okay!

I sit down between Theo and Harper, so I can help them eat. Daniel is across from me with Hunter, helping him. My parents are on either end of the table.

Daniel starts making cute faces at Hunter,
trying to get him to eat some veggies. I let out a light laugh which draws everyone's attention to me.

"What?" Daniel smirks, which makes Dad roll his eyes

"The faces you were making, it was cute"

"Awwh" Mom gushes but Dad throws his napkin down onto the table, pushing his chair out and stands up.

"Excuse me" Dad sighs before walking out of the dining room and hearing the back door slam closed.

"I'll go-"

"No, I'll go" I cut off Daniel, knowing Daniel would be no match for Dad when he's upset

"Are you sure?" Daniel looks at me worried as I stand up from my seat

"Yes, just watch these two" I force a smile before taking off from the table and towards the back door.

I take a deep breath before opening the door and stepping out into a cloud of cigar smoke. Dad never smokes, when did he pick up this habit?

I walk out further, seeing him lounge on a lawn chair, taking deep inhales from a large Cuban cigar. I drag a chair and sit across from him, he sighs as he sees me.

"What's going on?" I tap my hands on the sides of my thighs, not exactly knowing what his answer will be

"Nothing princess, why aren't you inside eating with your mom?" Dad ashes out the cigar on the bottom of his shoe

"You left so abruptly, I wanted to make sure you were okay"

"I'm thinking of taking Daniel out tomorrow, if that's alright with you" Dad quickly changes the subject

"Dad, if this is some sort of plan to intimidate him, don't. I don't need that, Daniel doesn't need that-"

"Princess, I just want to take him golfing, and have a chat. You're already married to the guy and if I can somehow talk him into a divorce, your relationship isn't that strong to begin with" I gulp, wiping sweat from the palms of my hands onto my black jeans.

"What was that?" Dad raises an eye brow

"What was what?" I clear my throat as my sentence comes out hazy

"Is everything okay with you two? You looked nervous" Dad sits up straighter, looking more focused into our conversation

"Everything great, we're doing really well together" I force a proud smile, hopefully making things more believable

"Okay, say that again but make it sound actually convincing this time" Dad crosses his arms, with a cocky smirk

"We're fine, we've had a few bumps in the
road but we're better now" I roll my eyes, already wishing I never came out here

"And what are these, "bumps" ?" Dad puts air quotes around the word

"Sweetheart, we need some extra hands in here, Harper threw up!" Mom shouts out the back door.

Saved by the vomit.