Blame

*Daniel POV*

"Do you want to pick the movie?" Y/n asks Theo as she walks over to the couch, placing Theo down and she sits beside him.

I walk back to finish the snacks while they pick a movie. When I walk back with the tray, Y/n already has Monsters Inc ready to play.

I sit on the other side of Theo, placing my arm on the back of the couch, placing my hand on Y/n's shoulder. I always try to have a hand on her at all times when I'm with her. It's mostly for comfort, and mostly for myself.

We get about half way through the movie when Theo falls asleep and a soft knock on the door occurs.

"I'll get it baby" I whisper when I notice Y/n flinch at the sound of the knock

I race up and to the door, just wanting to send away whoever it is to get back to my wife

I gently open the door to see Jack nervously standing on the other side. This is the first time he's been here since Hunter died.

"Hey man" Jack clinks the rings on his fingers together for an annoying sound

"Uh, hey. Where's Harper?" I look around him, not seeing my little girl in sight

"She's with my mom. I was wondering if I could see Y/n" My eyebrows raise on my forehead in disbelief

"I don't think that's a good idea-"

"You said she's still in bed, right? I just want to try to talk with her" What does he think he could possibly say that'll help her?

"She got out of bed this afternoon. We're watching a movie-"

"Did she talk to you?" If he interrupts me one more time, I swear

"Not really" I pull open the door a little more so Jack can see Y/n cuddled on the couch with Theo. When I look towards the couch I know I made the wrong move.

Jack steps into the house, keeping his eyes on
Y/n who's already staring at us. Y/n gets up from the couch and I expect her to come to Jack and hug him but she does the complete opposite, she takes off running up the stairs.

"What just happened?" Jack whispers, quickly looking back to me

"She's not ready to see you" I shrug. "I think she's blaming herself, so seeing you, the father, she's not ready for that. She probably thinks you'll blame her too"

"But it's not her fault-"

"No, and it's not mine either but I'm constantly blaming myself too. There's so many things I could've done differently that would've kept Hunter alive. Maybe if I didn't have the auto drive on like Y/n always told me, or maybe if I took the route Y/n drove instead of a shorter one or maybe if I didn't fight with Y/n's father and we stayed the extra night like we were supposed to, maybe he'd still be alive" I didn't know I was crying until I started tasting the tears as I spoke.

Jack pulls me into a hug and I force myself to hug him back even though everything in my body makes me want to run after Y/n and make sure she's okay

"Uh, the reason I came by was because Randy called" I shake my head, pulling away from Jack

"He called me a few times but I've been too busy to answer" I wipe my eyes onto the back of my hands

"There's uh, there's a mandatory meeting tomorrow, at the studio. We've been covering for you, for a while, but Randy is freaking out because you haven't been by in a few weeks" I gave specific instructions to everyone not to tell anyone what happened. It's not their place to share that kind of information.

"I can't just leave her" I run a hand down my face, feeling conflicted

"Bring her-"

"I can hardly get her out of bed, what makes you think I'll be able to get her in a car to the studio?" I snap, but quickly pull back. I promised Y/n I'd go easy on Jack

"Sorry"

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow, Jack" We do a quick handshake and I send him out the door.

I go over to the couch, scooping up Theo in my arms and take him upstairs to continue his nap in bed.

When I leave Theo's room, I close the door behind me and the sounds of Y/n's cries sound closer.

I walk past the twins room but freeze, hearing a sob from behind the closed door.

I turn back around, slowly opening the twins door and flicking on the light. Y/n is sat on the floor, clutching onto Hunter's stuffed monkey.

I walk up behind her, wrapping my arms tightly around her waist. Y/n rests her head back onto my chest, holding the stuffed monkey under her chin.

"It's going to be okay" I rest my forehead on the top of her head, crying

I wish I believe myself when I say it'll get easier but as the days go on, everything just seems to get worse.

I try to stay strong for Y/n so hopefully she sees that I'm part of the light at the end of the tunnel but my mind keeps wondering if maybe Jack is the light.

Maybe if she was with Jack, none of this would've happened.

Does she wonder that too?