End Of An Era

"Princess, hey princess? Are you ready to go?"

I look up from my long white silky dress and shake my head out of my thoughts. Our arms are still interlocked as Dad tries pulling me towards the door.

"Are you even listening to me? I said, I may not like him, but you do and-"

"No, I heard you, I just, I need to sit down for a second"

My head spins as I quickly sit back down onto the cracked leather couch. Feeling as if my life flashed before my eyes of my future with Daniel, I panic, knowing I'm about to walk into my surprise wedding.

"You're here because I'm getting married, aren't you?" I look up into my dads eyes

"What? Daniel told me this was a surprise. Who told you?" Dad places his hands into his dress pants pockets, slowly walking over to sit down beside me.

"I just- I had this feeling I guess" My voice trails off as I start nervously pulling on the hem of my dress

What if my thoughts are true? What if marrying Daniel is going to be worse than I could ever expect?

"Do you not want to marry him?" Dad wraps a steady arm around my shoulders, pulling me to lean my head on his shoulder

"I... I don't know" My voice trails off, going over the situation in my head

"What are you thinking?"

"I'm worried- I'm worried that things aren't what they seem, maybe I've been so blind to what's to come because I've been so focused on my love for Daniel.. But what about Jack?-"

"Jack? The curly haired kid? I saw him staring at you as you walked in. He's definitely in love with you"

My cheeks turn a tint of pink as I think of Jack being in love with me, but my mind slowly turns back to Daniel. He's done so much for me, I can't just brush him off like that, can I?

"But I see the way Daniel looks at you too. He looks at you the way people said I looked at your mom when we first got married"

A soft knock and the creak of the door opening shoots myself up in my spot, fixing my slouched posture.

My eyes meet Jack

"Hey, I just wanted to make sure everything's okay in here, we've been waiting for a while" Jack walks in, dressed in a dark grey suit, with the jacket buttons undone and his hands fisted in his pants pockets

"I'll leave you alone to talk" Jack gives Dad a strange look but sits down next to me anyways

"Is everything okay?-"

"The twins are yours, aren't they?" I cut to the chase, confronting if my thoughts are true

"Uh- I- um-" Jack instantly goes into a state of panic, only confirming, everything

"I don't know if I can marry Daniel" I huff out a loud breath.

Jack grabs ahold of my hands, stopping my continuous play of the hem of my dress. I catch Jack's eyes already staring at me with a heartfelt look. I quickly glance back down at our hands, feeling the heat radiating off of Jack.

"Then don't-"

"It's not that easy Jack, I love him, I really do, I'm just scared" I don't lie, I do love Daniel and all three of my kids, I just have to decide if the pain will be worth it

"We gotta get this going" Dad knocks loudly on the door which startles us both

"Come" Jack stands up, grabbing both my hands and pulling me up in front of him. Jack lightly takes my hand and pulls me towards another door in the room.

"If you want to marry Daniel, walk through that door and go on with your dad" Jack points to the door Dad stands behind

"If you want to run off with me, and leave Daniel in the past, go through this door, I'll meet you at the front of the church with my car and we can get out of here for a while" Jack opens the door, revealing the parking lot.

A cool breeze blows onto my face, clearing some of the anxiety of my thoughts.

Jack lightly kisses my cheek before walking through the door, closing it quietly behind him.

I walk back over to the couch, in the middle of the room. I look back and forth between the two doors, thinking about the two men behind each one.

Nothing in my life could prepare me for a moment like this.

I hear the roar of Jack's car as a light knock comes from the first door.

"Baby? Is everything okay?"

I take a deep breath, taking a quick glance at both doors before slowly walking over and opening the one I pray will make my life, complete.