Chapter 3: Growth

"It's been 8 months," Ri Jeong Hyeok stated while laying down the flowers he was holding in his arms to the ground.

Visiting his ex-girlfriend's grave in Gangwon brought back the heartache Ri Jeong Hyeok was trying to forget. He still hasn't moved on and there has been no progress at all after 8 months since she died.

"Our 3 years together were so precious. I treasure all our moments together. Ah, I can't forget that. I won't forget all of it. Those moments will be with me 'til the day I die. You own a very special place in my heart that I think no one could ever replace. Jagiya, I don't think I can love anymore." He exclaimed those words to her grave despite remembering her last wish for him, "Jagiya, please love again. Love someone. Do it for me."

They were together for 3 years and he had been with her even when she had to fight her illness- the big C. He stayed with her all throughout and didn't leave her side. She knew about her illness the day after they celebrated their 2nd anniversary, but she had no reason to hide it from her boyfriend. It will just get worse if she keeps it from him. But despite the bad news they got, their love for each other grew stronger. He took care of her more, spent more time with her, joined her for treatments until one day, her body couldn't hold it in.

She collapsed 2 months before she passed away. Those two months were the most challenging for both of them. Jeong Hyeok can't help but cry whenever he sees his girlfriend in pain and at the same time, her girlfriend can't help but scream all the pain she was feeling.

"No more pain, Jagiya." It was the words that came out of his mouth after remembering their journey together.

It was a sunny afternoon so Ri Jeong Hyeok decided to sit across her headstone with her name on it. He visits her every month. He knows that it won't help him overcome his heartache, but not visiting her within a month feels like he was committing a sin. It turns out to be a responsibility instead of just saying goodbye.

But before going to the cemetery, he settled on a decision he wanted to tell her, "Jagiya, remember my best friend who lives far away? The one I was telling you about who migrated to another country with his wife?" With a little smile on his face, he delivered those questions in the air and breathed deeply, "I'll visit him. I might stay there for quite some time so let me apologize in advance because I might not be able to visit you and I may not be near you. I just need to distract myself. I need to at least take away even a little bit of grief I'm feeling. It's been honestly taking a toll on me," he lightly chuckled. "I've been stuck with my life and my personal growth. I realized everything stopped when you left. So I'm assuming it will bring me back on track and focus on my growth again. I need this, Jagiya. But don't worry, I'll be back. I'll visit you again once I'm back. I promise."

Ri Jeong Hyeok went close to the headstone and traced his fingers to the carved name of her ex-girlfriend as tears left both of his eyes, "I love you, Jagiya. I will always love you."