End of the Line

(Gonna warm you here. This chapter is 5851 words)

"Don't let go! Hunter! Hunter please!," Ben yelled with the strength of every muscle in his throat.

I'm holding onto his hand with a broken one, I know I've made my injury worse because of it but I don't matter at the moment. I need to get Ben back to safety.

"Just hang on!," I yelled through a strained voice. My body is doing everything is not let go.

As his fingers were about to slip out of my hand, Darius dove in to help, catching his arm and effectively helping me steady Bens dangling body. Now we can pull him back up.

We start to calm down, but the Pteranodon bastards come back for another attack. Ben slips out of our hands and I immediately reach out with my other hand and grab onto him. Darius grabs onto his wrist, then we started to pull him up with all our strength that we have left.

The Pterodactyl I slashed earlier rammed the side of the train with a powerful force and made us all jump. Bens hand slipped out of our hands, I tried reaching for him, but...

Ben fell off the train, the Pteranodons chasing after his falling body while we all stare in shock and horror at what just happened. I...failed, I wasn't able to save him...

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————

"And why do you insist on saving every last single animal?," George asked the boy from across the room. He is sitting behind his desk, observing the boy's body language.

"Animals have done more for this planet then we could ever dream of doing," Hunter shook his head, "What we could never do...," Hunter sighed.

"There are plenty of humans in this world...plenty. Yet, there more Tigers in Texas than in the wild," Hunter clenched his fists in anger.

"You, yourself, was part of the problem why...," Hunter tried to let all that anger flow out of his body with a sigh, but it stuck to him.

"We cry over someone we lost, but that is a individual person," Hunter glared at George, "And yet humans kill hundreds to thousands to millions animals and never shed a single tear," Hunter walked up to George's desk and pulled out a envelope.

It read 'To My old Friend, George Ravens," Hunter didn't place it down. George knew what the boy wanted to do, but he was hesitant.

"I'm nice enough to allow you to read it...but I got this delivered in person," Hunter said in a cold tone.

"Hunter...you didn't-," George was cut off by a Bowie knife piercing the middle of his desk. "No, I would never kill someone in cold blood...especially knowing you were once friends with them," Hunter let go of the Bowie and straighten himself up.

"But that does not mean I have forgiven him for what he's done to animals," Hunter pulled up his sleeve and revealed a slashed forearm.

"I made sure he understood my point...and I've proven to him that I will not give up so easily," Hunter threw his sleeve back down, he would've smirked at the bewildered look on George's face, but he is not looking for satisfaction.

"He killed a Mountain Lion before I was able to track him, if I was there sooner...one more Mountain Lion would still be on this planet," Hunter started to walk away, at this point his grandfather will understand why he insists on saving every animal he can.

"I can understand you're reasons for doing this. I'm honest when I say I admire you're determination and hard work...but you need to understand that these poachers will not stop when some teenager runs at them and decides to assault them!," George yelled. George waited for the boy to speak up, but was met with silence.