Level 26

"The young son of the ceo of our nations largest game critically injured in car accident." 

The newspapers headline along with the after photo evidence of the green bloodied hoodie, and taehyuns mug shot from interrogation that night made it all too real.

This isnt happening...this cant be real...

Taehyun tried to convince himself the file he had just seen and the man he had just met werent real, but the boy laying in the hospital bed was anything but fake.

"HUENINGKAI!!!??" Taehyun barged past a lady crying on the couch to see.

He was wearing the vr headset, so his face was conpletely covered just as it was that night, knly the slightest crack was proof of the accident.

No wonder he was familiar.....

I never saw that boys face....

I killed hueningkai....twice....

"WHY IS THIS THING STILL ON HIM???!!! TAKE IT OFF!! NOW!!" Taehyun reached for the wires plugged in to charge the damn thing, noticing the very quiet heartbeat on hueningkais heart monitor.

The nurses immediately held taehyun tightly against the opposing wall when mr huening caught up in the room.

"DO NOT!!!....remove....that...helmet.." he panted, glad he made it in time.

"WHY THE FUCK NOT??!! YOU HELD A FUNERAL!! I WAS INVITED!!! HES ALIVE???!! WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME??!" taehyun was furious and hysterical.

"IF YOU HAD WENT YOUD KNOW IT WAS OPENCASKET!!! THERE WAS NO BODY!!! WE DID IT WHEN HE REACHED 1 YEAR OF BEING IN THE COMA!! YOU IGNORED THE CALLS AND AID WE OFFERED!!" Mr. Huening defended himself and his family justly so.

Taehyuns year of therapy had gone out the window now, the woman he shoved through earlier had the visitor pass, now checking over hueningkais setup making sure taehyun didnt damage anything.

'Mrs. Huening' read the nametag.

His mother??!

"taehyun....this headset is the only part of him we have, or rather YOU had...please understand we cannot simply remove the headset. Every doctor weve seen has said the same thing. His brain is active in the headset, and so was his body up until last night when he flatlined. If there was anything he said in game to you, please let us know...." mr huening waired for a response but taehyun was already lost in the words, hyperventilating and letting his ears tune out to only the blips from the heart monitor.

Then, everything was quiet.

-

"He WHAT?!!!" Beomgyu frantically got dressed, tripping over his shoes to get to his pants on the other side of his room.

"Listen, all i know is that he had a massive pnic attack and used us as his fucking emergency contact, you live in seoul right? I can come get you." Soobin  sat up from his bed, holding his phone to his face with his shouldrr as he checked his game messages again to make sure he was right.

"Doesnt Taehyun have a family? Yeah...ill be there you dont have to pick me up were all close now, ill be there." Beomgyu finally got to lacing up his shoes as he grabbed his car keys and dashed out the door, ending the call.

"Mmm...awake already?" Yeonjun draped his arm lazily over soobins hips, holding him gently to the bed so he couldnt leave.

"If you talk too loud my mom will hear and then youll really die, you know that right?" Soobin tried to move yeonjuns hand, but yeonjun ended up just grabbing soobins hand, intetwining their fingers.

"Im willing to die to be with you." Yeonjun gave a cheesy smirk, using a romeo-like accent as he pulled soobin down to give him sleepy kisses up and down his neck.

Soobin giggled at the tickling kisses, but remembered what had happened.

"Spirit- or...i mean Taehyun, had a massive panic attack at the hospital hueningkai is admitted too, so now we know where to find them. He put us as his emergency contacts." Soobin used yeonjuns shock as a gateway to escape and get up and ready.

"What?! Wait how the hell did taehyun find out where hueningkai was? All the conpany messaged us about was that he was a faulty player, and that our geoup would be disbanded....." yeonjun was still heartbroken hearing about it.

"Listen....I dont have any clue what went on, or is wrong since the second that match started yesterday.....but taehyun and hueningkai really need us right now....so im going." Soobin sighed, not sure what he should be thinking, but packing his overnight bag anyway.

-
"You had a massive panic attack....can you hear me? I want to know your name so i can contact your family." The nurse tried again with taehyun, but no answer.

I killed him.....twice....god the last thing i did with him was tell him i didnt love him and i was leaving the group.....

Taehyun stared blankly at the green hoodie sitting across his room in the chair, they had set him up in a temporary room since he collapsed so hard, he hit his head against an iv cart along with the panic attack itself.

"Hes ours, sorry it took so long we dont live around here...." beomgyus voice rang through, apologizing to the nurse and eyeing taehyun up and down.

"Taehyun? I know things are rough between the five of us right now, but please tell me youre alright? Were still friends...." soobin sat beside taehyun, putting his hand on his thigh gently.

"I killed hueningkai..." taehyun said darkly, his voice a dry cracked mess, only moistened by a aingle tear rolling down his completely dull expression.

"We know, we got the notification, soobin died too, we can work this out by 2 months when their avatars respawn and decide if we want to keep the team." Yeonjun glanced at taehyuns hands, lightly shaking still, even though he looked as still as a ghost everywhere else.

"No....i actually murdered hueningkai, twice..." taehyuns zoned out expression stayed, he never blinked, but his hands kept trembling.

"Nurse? Can we have some more medicine? He hit his head too hard." Beomgyu was now really concerned for taehyun. You couldnt kill someone twice.

"Ill leave you alone for a moment, now that i know his name ill call his family." The nurse stood and left, letting mr huening, who was waiting outside the door, in on her way out.

"I didnt know about your health issue taehyun, i shouldve thought more when i told you..." mr. Huening took a seat besides soobin.

"Excuse me, who the hell are you?" Yeonjun put a hand on mr huenings shoulder, threatening him to back off his friend.

"Im Kais dad....the one who sent you the server messages when you played? Ill explain if youll listen, but only if youll answer my questions in return..."