Chapter 13 - Hopelessness

———Jin Hark, Louria Kingdom———

"Dear!" Schwal's wife called him just as he prepared to leave for Battle.

"Please, Take this with you." She said handing him a large shield, It was smooth, and appeared golden, however it was unusually light. Schwal was a heavy Infantryman, trained to carry the most heaviest objects, while this object was comparably lighter than the iron shield he was preparing to use. he had a reason to hesitate its usage.

"Wait... That shield? But... This is a family heirloom, I cannot just-"

"This shield will protect you, It has been stated as being taken from the remains of the Ancient Sorcerous Empire, made from unknown material stronger than any alloy. You need this... I don't want to lose you."

"...Are you sure it's not just a counterfeit?"

"Didn't you remember over a year ago? When the earth shook and magic got distorted?"

"Yeah?"

"It was found unscathed in the ruins of our old home, absolutely untouched! If it could survive such a catastrophe it isn't a counterfeit!"

"..." Schwal took one last look at the shield and smiled back at his wife.

"Alright... If it makes you feel better. I shall use it." He said setting aside his iron shield.

"I'll see you later, Honey." He replied before leaving

—~~———~~—

The Capital Defence Knights, the Louria kingdom's Shield, consisted of selected individuals who are revered to be the most powerful in Kingdom. Mobilized in front of 8 gates along the capital's outer walls were infantrymen, knightly cavalrymen, and heavy infantry units waiting for the order to retaliate.

Finally, a briefing from General Patagene began to be heard from every battalion commander's manacomm.

"From this point forward, you shall push on to commence the attack on the enemy which has come to destroy our glorious capital. Some of you may already know that the enemy is powerful. But Still, we shall not yield!"

"I want you to burn into your hearts the fact that just behind you lies your families and your children which still have a future! Fight so that the enemy will never trample your homes, kill all your family members, and rape your loved ones! All units, move out!"

"HYAAAH!" The roar and yells of the soldiers echoed throughout the capital.

The battalion of heavy infantrymen served as the vanguard. They emerged from the gate, marching in close formation. If their Heavy Iron shields could repel the enemy's bullets of light, the lighter regular infantrymen would take point from behind them and get closer to the enemy.

From the front, the heavy infantry battalion advanced with determination in close formation. Clad in heavy armor and wielding a heavy shield and long spears, the soldiers pushed forward using the muscles they have built up from years of training in their armour. They have their pride on the line and there were a number of men that have a person they aim to protect.

By the time they marched past the 2 kilometre mark, the enemy beasts suddenly emerged their entrenchment or exited from their cover. Each producing horrific growls.

"They're here!"

Several IFVs and few Tanks of varying National Origin stood still facing down the large formation of heavy infantrymen. The IFVs pointed their guns toward the Formation.

"...Everybody! Defensive formations! Raise shields!" The battalion commander barked. Putting their faith on the strength of their shields and braced for impact as the IFVs opened fire.