5. King Caspian

Helena woke to find herself in the most beautiful little cabin she had ever seen. Before she could really admire it, pain rushed through her body. Everything ached. Each breath was laboured and shot pain through her chest. Turning on her side, she sat up. She had dealt with too much pain to allow this to keep her down. Someone had gotten her out of her wet clothes and she was changed into an oversized, long-sleeve shirt and a pair of navy blue pants. Her feet were bear and no shoes were around her so she assumed there were none available. She couldn't help the wave of fear that rushed through her. She was alone on a strange boat and she had no idea where she was. 

Before she had time to really panic, the door opened and Lucy appeared. "Lu!" Helena cried, rushing toward her. 

"Lena," she said, embracing her sister. "I'm so glad you're all right." 

"What happened?" Lena asked. 

"You almost drowned," Lucy explained. 

"I meant after that," Helena said. Frowning, she added, "And before. Just explain everything and skip the near-drowning part." 

With a sigh, Lucy sat down on the edge of the bed and Helena followed. After a short pause, Lucy said, "What you said before you passed out...Aslan. Do you remember why you said it?" 

"I saw him, Lu," she admitted. 

"What?" Lucy said, her eyes lighting up. "What did he say?" Helena frowned, trying to remember. 

"I don't remember much but he did say 'Believe or don't believe. For now, fight.' I don't remember much else," Helena admitted. 

With a confused smile, Lucy said, "Well, we should go find the boys." Helena nodded. 

When Helena stepped out of the cabin, she couldn't help but smile as the warmth of the sun and the rush of the waves hit her. She had rarely been to the beach, but she had always loved the sounds of the waves. As they went farther, she could smell the salt of the sea too. "It's beautiful," Helena said as she came to a stop overlooking the ship.

"I couldn't agree more," Lucy said, smiling. "Where do you think the boys went?"

"Probably below deck if they aren't on it," Helena said as they moved over to the stairs. "There isn't really anywhere else to go on a ship." She moved with the rocking of the boat flawlessly, weaving between sailors and cargo alike with ease. Lucy smiled as she saw her dance along slightly to the melody in her head. Turning, the older girl called, "Come, Lu, dance with me." Lucy joined her and, although Lucy was far less graceful than her sister, she kept along easily.

Soon, Helena was singing as they danced and the sailors had stopped their work to watch. Hearing the noise, Caspian came up to join the group and were surprised to see the fun. Caspian smiled at the sight of the two happy girls. Helena's feet moved with the grace of the dancer he had no idea she was and her voice was like that of an angel. While it was rough in some places and not well blending between her lower and higher voice, it was cool and clear, despite the recent water infiltrating her lungs. Her long dark-brown hair swirled around her as she turned and twisted with her tune and her lips were still stained a vibrant red from the lipstick the water hadn't managed to wash away. 

It was in a foreign tongue that Caspian could not understand but beautiful all the same. When the song came to an end, her pale cheeks flushed shyly at the attention. "You have a beautiful voice," Caspian said as he joined them and all the sailors went back to work.

Her blush deepened as she replied, "Oh, thank you."

"Come," he said. The three followed behind him into the study. It was a small, circular room covered with all kinds of paintings and artefacts.

"Aslan," Lucy said affectionately, looking at the large golden lion sculpted from gold on the wall. 

Looking up, Edmund spotted his older sister and instantly went to her. "Don't scare me like that, Lena," he scolded, wrapping his arms around her. 

"I'll save my next near-drowning for when you have no idea," Helena replied sarcastically. Edmund chuckled, pulling away. 

With a wide smile, Lucy introduced, "Lena, this is Caspian, King of Narnia. Caspian, this is our older sister, Helena." 

"I've heard much about you," Caspian admitted, taking her hand and pressing his lips to her knuckles. 

"And I've heard some about you, your highness," she replied, her cheeks reddening slightly. "Something about overthrowing a tyrical uncle." 

"Please, just Caspian is fine," he said. 

Lucy smirked, turning away from the two to hide the look. Spotting a bow and quiver, she said, "Look, Susan's bow and arrows." 

Tearing his eyes from Helena, Caspian moved over to a cabinet and took out a small, wooden box, calling, "Lucy." 

"My healing cordial and dagger," Lucy said excitedly, beginning to reach for them. Hesitating, she asked, "May I?"

"Of course, they're yours," he replied, handing her the box. Helena moved around the room before spotting a sword hanging against the wall.

"What is this?" she asked, not daring to touch it in case it was important.

"Peter's sword," Edmund said excitedly.

"Yes," Caspian said, approaching it. "I looked after it as promised. One of you may use it if you wish."

"No, no, it's yours," Edmund said. "Peter gave it to you."

Turning to another compartment, Caspian said, "I did save this for you though."

Catching the torch he was thrown, Edmund said, "Thanks."

"Edmund," Helena whisper-screamed. "Is that the torch I got you for your birthday?"

He hesitated a moment before replying cautiously, "N-No?"

"Edmund," she said warningly. He shrugged, letting out a laugh.

Shaking her head, she turned to Caspian and asked, "So, surely we're not in Narnia, Narnia, are we? If you're King of Narnia, doesn't that mean it's a country?"

"Yes," he said. "Here, Captain Drinian can show you exactly where we are, if you'll follow me." He offered his arm to her and with her cheeks just the slightest touch pinker, she accepted it, looping her arm around his and allowing him to lead her from the study. Lucy smiled, biting the inside of her cheek to keep herself from laughing as she glanced over at Edmund who, of course, was completely oblivious.