8. The Lone Islands

Helena followed Edmund and Caspian up on deck and up the stairs to the tiller. Handing over a microscope to Caspian, Drinian explained, "The Lone Islands, the port at Narrowhaven."

"Strange, not a Narnian flag in sight," Caspian remarked, handing it over to Edmund.

"But the Lone Islands have always been Narnia's," Edmund said, surveying the island.

"Seems suspicious," Drinian agreed.

"I say we prepare a landing party," Edmund suggested. When the captain made no move to give the order, he pressed, "Drinian?"

Awkwardly, he said, "Forgive me, your majesty, but the chain of command starts with King Caspian on this ship."

"Right," Edmund said, managing to keep most of the irritation from his tone.

"We'll use longboats," Caspian said. "Drinian, pick some men to go ashore."

"Aye, Travros," Drinian said. The Minotaur instantly started giving orders and men began lining up to board.

Turning to Lucy and Helena, Caspian said, "Should either of you prefer, you can stay on the ship, if you like."

"Not a chance, highness," Helena said firmly. "If my brother is walking into potential danger than so am I."

"Me too," Lucy agreed.

"Very well then," Caspian agreed with a smile. "If you'll follow me." Heading below deck, he led the three of them into a small room that served as an armory. "Take what weapons you need." Helena first reached for a sword before spotting something much more alluring. In the far corner, there were two shorter swords in blue sheaths. Taking these, she strapped them to her waist on either side. Next, she took a series of daggers and their sheaths. She placed one in either boot, strapped to her ankle, and a final one at her wrist, concealed under the long sleeves of her shirt.

"Got enough daggers there, Lena?" Lucy teased. Helena merely shrugged.

"Better to be over prepared than not prepared at all," she said.

"Ready?" Caspian inquired. The three siblings nodded. Heading up to the deck again, they found everyone else was in one of the longboats waiting for them. A second had just been dropped into the water and was being held in place by the occupants of the other boat. Ropes were thrown down and Edmund stepped forward to climb down first. Helena went next, moving fluidly down the line until she landed gracefully in one of the seats on the opposite side as Edmund. Lucy went next and finally Caspian. Eustace had already been brought down in the other boat. Lucy sat by Edmund, leaving Caspian with Helena.

As they reached the port, Reepicheep cried, "Onward! The thrill of the unknown lies ahead!"

"Couldn't this have waited until the morning?" Eustace griped as Caspian jumped out.

"There is no honour from turning away from adventure, lad," the mouse scolded. Caspian turned, extending a hand towards Helena. She took it graciously and stood, beginning to take a step out but as she did so, Eustace attempted to scramble out, dipping the boat. Helena gave a surprised cry, jumping out and pressing up against Caspian.

Meekly, she said quickly, "My apologies."

"None required," he replied quietly. Their faces were inches apart and he noticed for the first time her bright green eyes.

With a cry of pain, Eustace fell out of the boat, landing on his arm. Helena blushed, moving away from Caspian and letting go of his hand. Finally looking away from Helena, Caspian looked at Eustace, remarking, "And you're certain he's related by blood?"

"Hush. Where is everyone?" Lucy asked, looking around. It was rather like a ghost town. Before another word could be spoken, clanging bells sounded. On instinct, Helena reached for her swords, but didn't draw them as nothing jumped out. Caspian had lowered his cross bow and Lucy and Edmund had drawn their swords.

"Reep, stay here with the men and secure the place," Caspian said cautiously, glancing around. "If we're not back by dawn, send a party."

"Yes, your majesty," Reepicheep replied. As they moved farther into the town, the warmth of the sunlight left them and with it the golden rays of the sun, although darkness hadn't overtaken them just yet. They moved in silence apart from the occasional crackle of stone under one of the boy's shoes. Helena and Lucy, however, moved along silently. As they came into a deserted square, Eustace broke away, intending to look in on a few of the houses.

Jumping back, he called, "Yeah, looks like nobody's in. Do you think we should head back?" The older four stopped from where they were in front of two grand doors and looked at him.

"Do you want to come here and guard or something?" Edmund suggested lamely.

"Ah, yes," Eustace said, scrambling back toward them. "Good idea, cousin. Very, uh...logical." When he stared at them expectantly, Helena sighed, reaching into her boot and withdrawing one of the daggers she had grabbed.

"You know how to use this?" she asked, raising her brows at him.

"I've got it. I've got it," he said, taking the blade from her. "Don't worry." She turned back and headed in with the others. Helena drew in a sharp breath at the sight of the room. It was tall, towering above them by at least a few stories. From the top hung several huge bells almost reaching low enough to touch the intricate stone statues lining the wall. Edmund turned on his torch, lighting the path for them as they moved toward the center of the room.

"Who are all these people?" Lucy asked, eying the names on the list. Helena ran her hand down it, repeating the names in her head.

"Why have they been crossed out?" Edmund added.

"Slavers," Caspian realized.

Helena instantly sprinted for the door, crying, "Eustace!" but the moment her feet passed the threshold, someone caught hold of her by the throat and flung her into the wall. She grunted in pain, hand hands flying for the one at her throat.

"Eustace, run!" she groaned, kneeing the man in the crouch. He dropped her, leaving her sprawled on the ground coughing. Eustace, the idiot, ran inside the building, straight where the others and more slavers were.

"Edmund! Lucy!" Helena cried, rushing inside to try and help. Before she could make it far, someone tackled her to the ground, grabbing her small sword from her hand and pressing it to her throat. Grabbing her hair, he pulled her painfully to her feet. She cried out in pain, causing all the fighting to cease. The sword was pushed more forcefully to her throat but she did not, as he had hoped, wince or whimper. However, a single pained tear trailed down her porcelain cheek.

Shrugging it off, the slaver announced, "Unless you want to hear this one shriek." A smirk coming into his voice, he added, "Perhaps in more way than one," Helena shuttered. "I'd suggest you lay down your weapons." A general clatter of metal on stone reached her ears as each lay them down. Edmund was staring very intently at Helena who was trying to hide her fear. She managed until he lay a hand at her waist. Flinching, she instinctively jerked away from him, causing him to tighten his hold and press the sword closer to her throat. Edmund looked about a second from tearing apart every slaver present.

"Put them in irons," the slaver ordered. Gesturing to Lucy and Eustace, he suggested, "Let's take these two to market. Those three to the dungeons. We can make a pretty coin with them if we play our cards right." Helena shuttered again.

"Listen to me you insolent fool!" Caspian shouted, fighting against his restraints. "I am your king!" Edmund struggled as well, resulting in a punch to the jaw.

"You'll pay for that," he growled.

"Actually," a new voice said, coming from the shadows. "Someone else is going to pay...for all of you."

As they began to be dragged away, Helena screamed, "NO! LUCY!" Her screams turned to sobs as she was dragged farther and farther from her baby sister until finally, Lucy's tear stained face disappeared from sight.