14. Bodies of Another Tiger

I know it is long-awaited so here it is. I hope it's worth the wait! Working on the next chapter now. Thanks for all the support guys! Enjoy. 

Soon Edmund and Lucy had gone with the rest of the crew to claim spots along the beach to sleep, but Helena and Caspian remained sitting in the warm glow of the burning embers. As he sat back down from tending to the fire, Caspian asked, "Are you warm enough?"

"Yes, thank you," she replied. Closing her eyes, she drew in a deep breath. She felt completely at peace. The moon shone high and bright, casting a milky glow along the waves as they crashed repeatedly against the sandy shores and the stars danced around the moon in graceful swirls. "It's so beautiful."

"Yes," Caspian agreed with a smile. After a pause, he diverted his eyes from the water and glanced at her. "Helena," he said hesitantly. She hummed in reply, her eyes fixed on the part of the shore she could see. The stars were reflected in it. "I hope I'm not being too bold but I-"

Before he could say another word, she said, "I'd forgotten how much I missed the sea when I was in France. We rarely got trips for the holiday." She hadn't been listening to a word he'd said. Embarrassed, Caspian averted his gaze to the stars as her eyes remained on the water.

"We should get some rest," he said finally. Helena nodded slowly.

"I'll sleep in a moment," she said, glancing over at him with a warm smile. "I want to stay up a little while longer."

"Of course," he said, rising to his feet. Awkwardly, he added, "See you in the morning."

"You as well," she replied.

As he stepped away, he muttered to himself, "'See you in the morning.'" Rubbing his eyes tiredly, he sighed, "Idiot."

Helena's eyes remained focused on the sea before her as her wistful smile faded into a frown. Very slowly, she rose to her feet, her brows furrowed. When Caspian glanced back, he drew in a small, sharp breath. The moon hung low in the sky, creating a halo of light around Helena's head and casting silvery light on most of her hair, but the warm light of the fire also cast its light. It crawled along the ground to dust the lower half of her hair in golden light. The cold and warm lights swirled around her figure in a chaotic dance as the moon, the sea, the fire, and the sand all fought for their own representation.

Then the next moment, the illusion disappeared. Helena moved out of the light of the fire, casting herself in the cool light of the moon. Caspian blinked, turned away, and headed for where he had set up his sleeping bundle previously. Helena took up her sleeping bundle and took a seat by the fire, staring into its dying embers as time trickled by and she slowly drew closer and closer to sleep. 

Dawn came quickly, casting golden rays directly in Helena's eyes. Brows furrowed, she rubbed at her eyes and sat up, looking around. She first spotted Edmund sleeping a few meters away and across from him lay Caspian. A go ways from them, she spotted Eustace. She frowned, getting to her feet as she noticed one startling absence. Her heart began to pound as she rushed over to Edmund, shaking him. "Edmund, Edmund!" she cried. 

"What, what?" he cried, sitting up. 

"Lucy's gone," Helena replied desperately. Caspian had awoken now. 

"Look," he said. Helena followed his gaze and saw that mixed in with her own small footprints, there were deeper ones at least five times larger than hers, if not more. 

"Oh Aslan," Helena breathed. "Cas, do you think that whatever those are...that they..." She broke off, unable to finish her sentence. 

"We need to find out," Edmund said. "Let's follow them." Helena rushed back to her sleeping bundle and took up her sheath and sword and joined the group rushing after Lucy. Pushing past people, she got to the front, just behind Caspian. 

"People obviously live here," Helena remarked as they stepped into a preteen lawn with grass carefully cut and several bushes pruned into ordinate shapes. 

"That makes me like this even less," Caspian replied quietly. 

"Caspian," Edmund said, looking up from where he had been staring at the ground. "Lucy's dagger." Just as Helena and Caspain came over to look, spears suddenly shot from thin air into the ground around them. Helena drew her sword along with the others as Caspian stepped in front of her protectively. 

"Stop right there or perish," a voice growled. Helena whipped her head around, searching for the source of the voice just before Caspian's sword was slammed out of his hand and to the ground. One by one, each man began to have their weapon taken from them. In a sudden burst of strength, Helena lunged forward to where she thought she could hear footsteps, driving her sword forward. It stopped mid-air and she felt a rough, calloused hand on her wrist. With a cry, she dropped it as her wrist began to ache from the firm grip. The next moment, she was lifted into the air. Hairy arms held her in place around the waist and chest, pinning her arms down. 

"Helena!" Caspian shouted, rushing towards her. Just before he reached her, he was flung back by the force of a powerful hit. Getting to his feet, he shouted, "Let her go! What sort of creatures are you to hold a lady hostage?" 

"She tried to stab me!" the one holding her cried defensively. 

"And I won't if you just let me go," Helena said calmly, although her voice was laced with venom. 

"We're big creatures!" one called excitedly. 

A deep voice said, "We've the head of a tiger and the body of a..." 

"Different tiger," another filled in. 

"Yeah," the deep voice agreed. "You don't want to mess with us." 

"Or what?" Edmund snapped. 

"We'll snap her neck," one said. 

"Or I'll claw you to death!" another cried. 

"Or I'll ram my tusks right through you," another said. But as Helena looked around, she realized that they were becoming visible. 

"And I'll ghash you with my teeth," another said. 

"And I'll bite you with my fangs," one threatened with a growl. 

"You mean, swash us with your fat bellies?" Edmund replied, amusement dancing across his face. 

"Tickle us with your toes?" Caspian added. Slowly one by one, the creatures got to the ground. Helena fell with a surprised cry, bracing herself for the fall. Instead, she felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her. Opening her eyes, she found herself face-to-face with Caspian. Their eyes connected and she noticed for the first time how beautiful his eyes were. They were soft and warm, rather like a puppy's eyes. Suddenly, from behind Caspian, Helena noticed flickering into view a large house. 

"Cas, look," she said. He turned, setting her gently on the ground, keeping her hand in his. His lips parted in shock at the huge building. Her eyes light with excitement, she cried, "Lucy must be in there."