26. Serpents

The shrieking head rose from the water and Helena got a full view of the creature as the blood rushed from her cheeks. Helena drew her sword, mustering every bit of courage in her system as the others got to their feet, drawing their swords as well. Before the thing could lunge at them, Eustace dove, spewing fire at the creature and sending it back some. The thing screamed, a horrible, gut-wrenching sound, flailing Eustace around and damaging the ship at the same time. Eustace was flung off and only just recovered before hitting the water. 

Helena screamed as the beast clamped Eustace in his jaws and sank with the dragon into the watery depths. They rose after no more than a minute and the beast flung Eustace into a rock. Eustace spat fire again and the creature dove. 

"Out, creature!" Lord Rhoop called, flinging his sword toward Eustace. Lucy screamed and Eustace took off into the mist. Storming to the wheel, Rhoop cried, "We're all doomed! Doomed! Turn this ship about!" 

"Someone stop him!" Caspian cried hoarsely. Drinian hit him, just hard enough for him to collapse to the ground, unconscious. 

"Rowing positions!" Drinian called. "Oars at double speed!" Helena was afraid. There was no getting around that now. She watched the serpent move around, feeling utterly helpless to do anything. Suddenly the thing dove over the ship, creating a ring of itself around them. 

"It's going to crush the ship!" she cried. She was unsure if anyone heard her. Another ring was formed and Helena found herself trapped between them. 

"HELENA!" Caspian shouted. She did not have the strength to answer. The thing raised its head again having unwrapped itself partially, this time with its eyes directly on her. Helena somehow found the strength to stare back, unafraid. It lurched forward, attempting to trap her in its jaws. 

"Helena!" Edmund cried, rushing toward her. Helena watched it without fear, she sword gripped tightly in her hand. Just before the thing would have eaten her, she shoved the blade directly into its mouth. The thing shrieked, jolting away and backing up. Edmund instantly took the chance to draw attention away from his sister to himself. Helena watched as he crawled into the dragon mouth of the ship, flashing his torch out at the creature and shouting. Helena was not near enough to hear what he said. The thing lurched forward again and Helena screamed, covering her mouth with her free hand. 

"NO!" Lucy screamed. 

"EDMUND!" Caspian cried. Edmund had somehow remained unharmed, but the one great remaining coil tightened. Helena drew from her boot a small dagger and threw it as hard as she could towards the thing. Her dagger landed squarely in the thing's eye just as Lucy's arrow hit the other eye. The ship pushed the beast into a rock, causing it to let out another of its terrible shrieks and Edmund fell, toppling down to the deck again. 

Helena rushed forward, calling, "Edmund!" He quickly got up with her help and moved to face the beast again. Helena let out a horrified cry as the beast spit itself down the middle, revealing not only its innards but the very bones holding it together. 

"MOVE!" Caspian cried, rushing forward and tackling Edmund out of the way of the thing's strikes. Helena quickly got herself a bow and arrows and took her spot, notching an arrow as she remembered doing as a child. She followed the beast's movements and sent arrow after arrow into it, causing it to scream and shriek with each hit. Lucy soon joined her and between them, they were weakening it. 

Caspian and the others landed large spears into it and began attempting to pull the thing down so they could chop off its head. The beast retaliated, pulling against them and dislodging the parts of the ship with the ropes. But at last, Helena had seen a weak spot, but she knew no arrows would be enough. Her hands shaking, she rose, lowered her bow and arrows and took her stance, sword in hand. She felt her heart in her mouth as she broke into a run. 

"NO!" Lucy shouted. 

"HELENA!" Caspian cried. 

She rushed toward what was left of the rail, and jumped off of it and at the creature. She landed her mark. Her sword went in to the hilt and the creature shrieked the most terrible cry they had heard yet. Helena was flung off the creature, her sword still in place, and came toppling towards the deck. 

The moment her head connected with the wood, all faded to black. 

.

Light was just beginning to stream through the haze when Helena woke, letting out a low groan of pain. Raising her head, she felt the back of it and decided she had not been too seriously injured, no matter how sore she felt. Her hair was soaked and fell in a dark mass behind her as she tried to sit up. 

"Helena!" a voice cried. A pair of familiar hands were helping her sit up. Opening her eyes, she was unsurprised to find Caspian before her, his hair also soaking wet. With a small laugh, she cupped his cheek, tangling her hand in his hair. 

"I'm so glad you're all right," he said, quickly wrapping his arms around her. Helena smiled, returning the embrace. Pulling away slightly, she cupped his cheek again and kissed him. Leaning his forehead against hers, Caspian cupped her cheeks and held her close. Edmund and Lucy, who had been watching the saved Lone Islanders, turned around to see the two in each other's arms and Lucy couldn't help the warm smile that appeared. 

"They're a thing?" Edmund asked, brows furrowed. Lucy let out a laugh, nudging him playfully. Caspian and Helena kissed again before he helped her to her feet and she rushed toward her siblings. The three embraced, holding each other close. 

"Let's help them on board!" Caspian called. "Clear the deck!" He returned by the three of them and instantly his hand was in Helena's. 

Eyeing their hands, Lucy crossed her arms with a raised eyebrow and asked, "So, when exactly were you two lovebirds going to tell us?" Helena blushed, sharing an affectionate look with Caspian. 

"It just happened," Caspian defended awkwardly. 

"Well, if anyone deserves my sister, it's you," Edmund said with a smile. 

"I'll take that as the highest compliment," Caspian replied with a pleased grin before raising Helena's hand to his lips. She blushed again, averting her gaze from him.

"Let's just hope Peter agrees," Helena said with a laugh. 

"Hey!" a voice called. "I'm down here! Lucy! Helena! Edmund!" The four of them rushed to the side and saw Eustace, the boy Eustace, splashing around in the water.  "Over here!" 

"Eustace!" Helena cried in surprise. 

"I'm a boy again! I'm a boy!" he cried excitedly. 

"Eustace!" Reep called with equal enthusiasm. "I see your wings have been clipped!" With a happy laugh, he jumped in to join him. Climbing onto Eustace's shoulder, he cried, "Look! Look!" 

There was a large, hazy white mass close to them. 

"Aslan's country," Caspian said in awe. Helena squeezed his hand slightly in hers, causing him to look over with a fond smile. "We must be close."