12. The Beginning

Helena was surprised to find the next morning that after their setting out at nine o'clock, she was not easily winded from the uphill climb. Something in her had awoken upon her reappearance into Narnia. She could not yet tell whether it was strength or courage, but something in the Narnian air made it easier to go on. This effect was not merely an in the moment strength, for as they continued to journey their way up through Ettinsmoor, she found that the effect lasted and soon ten days had passed and she had nearly the same amount of strength as she had at the start.

The journey was even, to Helena, very stress-free. There was a delightful simplicity to travelling and although she was often cold, the walking kept her warm and when the chill was too much at night, she got one of the extra blankets Eustace had been carrying for them. The same, however, could not quite be said for Jill and Eustace. While Puddleglum was protected by the persistence of his pessimism, Jill and Eustace had set out with grand ideas of thrilling adventures. Helena, however, couldn't help feeling a sense of cheerfulness throughout those hard nights. Anything was better than Experiment House.

It was a dull, grey morning at least ten or eleven days into their journey when they reached the top of a high slope. Below them, they could hear and see a great river which seemed to have eroded the land beneath it until the river ran at least a hundred feet below the edge of the precipice. Not only was it so far down, but it was full of swift waterfalls and rapids.

"The bright side of it is," Puddleglum said. "That if we break our necks getting down the cliff, then we're safe from being drowned in the river." Helena smiled fondly at the marsh-wiggle. Although humour wasn't intended, she could not help finding some of his comments amusing. Nor was he offended by her amusement for, as he said, "That's the spirit! Better to have a laugh on a journey like this. Keeps up the spirits."

"What about that!" Eustace exclaimed, pointing out over to a large structure a bit to their left. Helena frowned, tilting her head and studying it. The bridge was one large arch that rose high above the cliff tops in a severe slope.

"Why, it must be a giant's bridge," said Jill.

"Or a sorcerer's, more likely," said Puddleglum. "We've got to look out for enchantments in a place like this. I think it's a trap. I think it'll turn into mist and melt away just when we're out on the middle of it."

"Oh, for goodness sake," exclaimed Eustace. "Don't be such a wet blanket. Why on earth shouldn't it be a proper bridge?"

"Why on earth should the water on Gold Water Island not have been normal?" Helena countered gently. Eustace paled slightly. Not having been there himself, he had forgotten about that place.

"And anyway," said Puddleglum, not curious enough to ask what on earth Gold Water Island was, "do you think any of the giants we've seen would have sense to build a thing like that?"

"But mightn't it have been built by other giants? I mean, by giants who lived hundreds of years ago, and were far cleverer than the modern kind?" Jill said. "It might have been built by the same ones who built the giant city we're looking for. And that would mean we're on the right track - the old bridge leading to the old city!"

"That's a real brain wave, Pole," Eustace said. "It must be that. Come on." Helena and Puddleglum shared looks but followed the children regardless.

"Wait," Helena ordered, holding out her hand to stop the others as they reached the bridge. Then, before the others could speak, she moved forward herself, nimbly moving along the stone until she was a couple of feet out. Then, holding her breath slightly, she jumped. The stone remained in place. She moved about a bit, testing the stone in the same way before finally gesturing for the others to follow along.

Taking the lead, she began to gracefully follow along the arch. When they reached the top of it, they were all startled to find that two people were approaching them on two great horses. Two, human adult-sized people.

"Keep on," Puddleglum said in a low voice. "Move toward them. Anyone you meet in a place like this is as likely as not to be an enemy, but we mustn't let them think we're afraid." They had by now reached the other side of the river and were moving along the road towards the pair. The first was a man clad in black armour with the visor down and no device on his shield and no banneret on his spear. He rode a great black horse, at least eighteen hands high.

The second was a woman. This woman was riding sidesaddle and wore a long, fluttering dress of a dazzling green. There was something imposingly impressive about this woman's beauty and something about it threw Helena into a defensive mood.

"Good day, travellers!" she called in a voice as sweet as birdsong with a slight trill of her r's. Fixing her eyes on Eustace and Jill, she remarked, "Some of you are young pilgrims to walk this rough waste."

"That's as may be, Ma'am," Puddleglum replied stiffly.

"We're looking for the ruined city of the giants," Jill said. The moment she heard those words leave the young girl's mouth, Helena inexplicably felt the urge to scream.

"The ruined city?" the lady said in the same sweet voice. "That is a strange place to be seeking. What will you do if you find it?"

"We've got to-" Jill began.

"Jill," Helena chided quickly. At the look of confusion from the lady, Helena said, "Forgive me, Madam, but I believe we have said enough of ourselves."

"And we'd soon not talk to strangers about our business, if you don't mind," added Puddleglum. "Shall we have some rain soon, you think?" The lady laughed. It was a rich, lilting laugh that somehow only put Helena more on her guard.

"Well, children, you have two wise, solemn old guides with you," she said, turning back to the children. "I think none the worse of them for keeping their own counsel, but I'll be free with mine. I have often heard the name of the giantish City Ruinous but never met any who would tell me the way thither. This road leads to the burgh and castle of Harfang, where dwell the Gentle Giants. They are as mild, civil, prudent, and courteous as those of Ettinsmoor are foolish, fierce, savage, and given to all beastliness. And in Harfang you may or may not hear tidings of the City Ruinous, but certainly, you shall find good lodgings and merry hosts. You would be wise to winter there or, at the least, to tarry certain days for your ease and refreshment. There you shall have steaming baths, soft beds, and bright hearths; and the roast and the baked and the sweet and the strong will be on the table four times a day."

"I say!" exclaimed Eustace. "That's something like! Think of sleeping in a bed again."

"Only tell them that the Lady of the Green Kirtle salutes them by you and has sent them two fair southern children for the Autumn Feast," the woman said.

"Oh, thank you ever so much!" Jill and Eustace cried. Then, the woman departed and Helena was left staring after them, her lips pressed tightly together.