16. Underneath the Ancient City

When Helena came to, it was to discover that she felt very cold. After another moment, she realized that she was being jostled and was being held in someone's arms. Hazily, she lifted her head, looking up to see the grey complexion of the marsh-wiggle. Behind him, she heard horrible yelling sounds.

"They've seen us! Run!" Puddleglum cried. The jolting grew worse and Helena's head began to pound. She felt as though her limbs were made of lead and she could not understand how the marsh-wiggle was able to carry her. Soon, however, she found the wind completely gone and felt something scrape against her. Then, they were in near darkness. Puddleglum had set her to the side as he began filling in some kind of hole with stones. Jill dashed in at the last moment and all three got the opening covered before the giants could overtake them.

Helena rolled over, muttering sleepily, "What's happening?"

"Sh, it's all right," Eustace said, approaching her. Helena was easily quieted and Puddleglum, after scrambling a little in the dark, picked her up again and began moving forward with Jill and Eustace each with a hand on either of his shoulders so as to ensure they did not lose their way.

Puddleglum had only just begun muttering about something or other when he cried, "Ow! Let go! Save yourselves! I'm-" Someone let out a wild cry and all four found themselves topping down the hill of rocks. Helena was well awake by now as they had settled and she had somehow ended up at the back of the group, meaning that every sharp rock dislodged by the other three hit her with such force she was afraid one might take out an eye. She was shielding her face and could feel the rocks cutting into her arms and legs. The blankets they had wrapped around her were gone and she was left only with the three cloaks, all getting torn pretty badly by now.

She was moving at such a speed that she was shocked when, after she had been sliding for at least a quarter of an hour, if not more, she tumbled to a stop. She could feel the blood and bruises. Every muscle ached. Her limbs felt impossibly heavy as though she might sink through the stone. She had never felt more pain in her life. She felt too sore to even think about moving. Why not remain where she was? What was the point anymore?

"Everyone alright?" Eustace asked shakily. There was the sound of shuffling.

"Y-Yes," Jill said.

"No broken bones anyone?" Puddleglum asked. "I'm all right but I shouldn't wonder if-"

"Helena?" Eustace cried in a panic, suddenly realizing that she hadn't spoken.

"I'm fine," she said. Her voice sounded hollow and detached in the darkness. There was a long pause. No one spoke after that. The inpenitrable darkness seemed to cause some kind of hush among them all. Helena hadn't moved. She felt she might as well just lay there until she died.

None of them knew how long they had lain there, it could have been minutes or hours, when suddenly a dark, flat voice said, "What make you here, creatures of the Overworld?"

"Who's there?" the other three cried as Helena moved her head in the direction of the voice. Instantly she felt as though her head was splitting. She stopped moving.

"I am the Warden of the Marches of the Underland, and with me stand a hundred Earthmen in arms," came the reply. "Tell me quickly who you are and what is your errand in the Deep Realm?"

"We fell down by accident," said Puddleglum.

"Many fall down, and few return to the sunlit lands," replied the voice. "Make ready now to come with me to the Queen of the Deep Realm."

"What does she want with us?" Eustace asked cautiously.

"I do not know," the voice replied. "Her will is not to be questioned but obeyed." As he spoke, there was suddenly a sound like a small explosion and light appeared. Helena stared at the light hazily. The earthmen around the speaker were as varied as humans but every single one of them was pale as death and held matching expressions of the upmost sorrow.

"Well," remarked Puddleglum, "This is just what I needed. If these chaps don't teach me to take a serious view of life, I don't know what will. Look at that fellow with the walrus moustache - or that one with the-"

"Get up," the speaker interrupted in the same dark, flat tone. The other three quickly scrambled to their feet but Helena could not will her body to move. One of the earthmen moved towards her with his weapon raised but Eustace quickly rushed to her and tried to get her to her feet. It took them about ten minutes before Helena was finally able to rise. Her head was splitting and each movement caused her muscles to scream in protest but as they were forced through into a space no larger than a crawling hole, she managed to force herself forward.

At last, however, they came into a huge opening and Puddleglum without being asked, picked up Helena again for as he muttered to himself, "Looking frightfully pale, this one. She'll fall faint without some help, I shouldn't wonder." They passed through many caverns until they reached one which lowered to still water. In this there was a ship. They were forced to board and as the ship began moving, Puddleglum lay Helena down and she instantly drifted into sleep.

None of them ever knew just how long they were on that journey but one thing was for sure, after some time had passed, Helena's fever broke and she soon became much better. Her head stopped splitting, her coughing fits had ceased, and her body began to ache less. She was also more alert. Their journey was marked by only two things: their schedule of eating and sleeping and the decided nothingness which was occurring all around them. The silence on the ship was so oppressive none of them dared to talk. Eustace and Jill clung to Helena and Puddleglum as their only sources of comfort.

Then, at last, they saw land.