25. Tails of Green Smoke

The chill of the morning caused Helena to shiver as she stepped out onto the deck. Her hair rippled in the breeze, shedding her of the protection of her neck against the chill. It was a grey, miserable-looking morning and cast a grey tinge into her pale cheeks. 

"Helena," Caspian said gently, approaching her. She looked up, meeting his dark, warm eyes. Her fear melted away. "Are you all right?" 

"Yeah," she replied with a faint smile. "And I'll be better when we get through that island." 

"I know," Caspian said softly, glancing back at the mass of black and green. 

"Hey," Helena whispered, cupping his cheek and forcing him to look at her. "Everything is going to be all right. Don't lose faith, Cas." He raised his hand to wrap loosely around her wrist, leaning into her hand slightly. Pressing her lips to his briefly, Helena pulled away from him and moved over to the opposite rail, facing the island as the rest appeared. 

"So what do we think's in there?" Tavros asked. 

"Our worst nightmares," Edmund replied, moving to stand behind Caspian and Helena. 

"Our darkest wishes," Caspian said. Looking up at him, Helena took his hand in her own. Caspian excepted the gesture, intertwining their fingers and shifting his gaze to meet her eyes. 

"Pure evil," Drinian supplied. Leaving the wheel, he ordered, "Travros, unlock the armoury." As everyone separated to arm themselves, Helena descended to the lower deck and stared out at the island they were steadily approaching. Her fear had returned to some degree without Caspian there any longer but she no longer felt like crawling in a corner. 

"Aslan?" she whispered, shifting her gaze up towards the sky. "Please, help us." Only a few moments had elapsed since she had spoken when she felt a warm breath hit her face. Instantly her fear melted away. She felt strength return to her. 

.

"No matter what happens here," Caspian called over the men from the raised deck. "Every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader. Together we have travelled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong. Never give in. Our world, our Narnian lives depend on it. Think about the lost souls we're here to save. Think of Aslan." 

Caspian was just heading down the stairs when one of the crewmen cried, "For Narnia!" This sent up a chorus of cries and soon Helena joined in with her own just as Caspian met her eyes. Helena couldn't help smiling in amusement as she saw the surprised and perplexed expression on Caspian's face. 

Then, they entered the darkness. Helena was standing by the rail, staring out into the darkness for anything that could be the final sword when an eerily familiar voice began to speak. 

"Mon chérie," it whispered. Helena shuttered, closing her eyes to block out any sight of him that might arise. 

Before she could hear more, a loud wail broke out, somewhere close to them, but not on the ship. "Keep away!" it bellowed. "Keep away!" 

"Who's there?" Edmund called back. 

"We do not fear you!" Caspian shouted. 

"Nor I you!" the man called back. Edmund lit his torch, illuminating the man. He was dreadfully thin with a long, straggly beard. "Keep away!" 

"We will not leave," Caspian replied. 

"You will not defeat me!" the man challenged, wielding his sword. 

"The sword!" Helena cried. "Caspian!" The man started at the name, lowering one of his hands. 

"Lord Rhoop!" Caspian said quickly, moving to the railing. 

"You do not own me!" the man cried. 

"Stand down!" Caspian ordered. "Let's get him on board. Quickly!" Eustace swooped down, grabbed the man around the waist and quickly dropped him down on the deck. The man instantly flashed his sword, staring around at them all jumpily. Helena quickly rushed towards him. 

"My lord," she said gently. The others quieted. They knew that if anyone could get this man to calm, it was Helena. She approached slowly, her hands raised in surrender. "My lord, we are here to help you." 

Before she could speak again, the man flailed his sword at her as he cried, "Away!" Caspian had rushed forward and quickly caught her around the waist to push her behind him and out of range. 

"My lord, we are not here to hurt you!" Caspian cried. "I am your king, Caspian." The man turned, his facial expression one of complete shock. 

"My lord!" the man cried, coming towards him to study his face. Caspian let go of Helena, for he had kept a hand on her waist since pushing her back. "You should not have come! There is no way out of here!" Turning, he shouted, "Quickly! Turn this ship about before it's too late!

"We have the sword, let's go!" Edmund said. 

"Let's turn her about, Drinian," Caspian ordered. 

Before they could get far, Lord Rhoop cried, "Do not think! Do not let it know your fears or it will become them!" Instantly Helena's mind fled to Jaques. 

"Oh no," Edmund said. Helena instantly turned to look at him. 

"Edmund," Lucy cried. "What did you just think of?" 

"Oh, I'm sorry!" he exclaimed, rushing to look over the edge. The ship lurched, sending them flying back onto the deck. Helena alone maintained her balance and kept a clear view of what she now realized what a sea serpent. 

"If you grant me nothing else, Aslan, grant me courage," Helena breathed shakily.