21. Goodnight My Someone

"What food did you find?" Caspian asked as the four approached.

"It's volcanic, Your Majesty," Rhince replied. "Not much grows."

Looking around, Lucy asked, "Where's Eustace?"

"I believe he's out not helping us load the boat," Reep replied bitterly.

Turning back toward the island, Lucy called, "Eustace! Eustace!" The only answer was a hiss of steam. "Edmund, I've got a bad feeling."

Irritably, Edmund said, "I'll go find him."

"I'll come with you," Caspian offered.

Stepping forward, Rhince asked, "Would your Majesties like to come back with us to the boat?"

"Yes, thank you," Lucy said.

"I'll stay here," Helena offered. "And wait for the boys." Rhince nodded respectfully and soon the boat was off. Helena was pacing nervously waiting for the others but just as she had calmed herself into thinking there was nothing to worry about, a roar belted across the island. Instantly, Helena drew her sword, turning toward the sound and lowering into a position to fight.

Then, as she was waiting to see what had made the noise, another noise reached her. It was a harsh, rhythmic beating. Drawing in a deep breath to calm her nerves, she tightened her grip on her sword. Then, the unthinkable appeared. Before she thought better of it, Helena let out a cry. Something with huge wings and a long, spiked tail appeared, all covered in scales. A dragon. Before she could think of any kind of attack, the dragon had gone out and over the water towards the boat.

"No!" she screamed. Turning toward the island, she shrieked, "CASPIAN! EDMUND!" She watched in horror as the dragon landed on the topsail. After staying there for a time, it began flying back toward her. She drew in a deep breath, forced down the fear in her chest, and made herself ready. Just as it began to fly above her, she sprinted toward one of the raised rocks. Upon reaching it, she jumped as high as the rock would allow with her momentum and found herself soaring toward the large creature. Just before she could drive her sword into it, it spun around, knocking her back with its huge paw. Helena cried out before feeling pain numb her back. She couldn't breathe.

Slowly, she began to get her breath back, but before she could get up, the dragon flew past again. "Helena!" Edmund shouted.

"Ed?" she whispered, sitting up with a groan. Spotting him in the dragon's clutches, she shouted weakly, "Ed!" From behind her, Caspian sprinted forward, watching in horror as the dragon sped towards them again but instead this time it flew far to the left of them, out of their range. Helena coughed weakly, reaching for her sword again as she got to her feet with a wince.

"Are you all right?" Caspian asked, still staring after the dragon tensely.

"Fine," Helena groaned. "We need to go after them."

"Helena, you're in not state," he replied. "And anyway, we're not enough to fight off a dragon."

Rounding on him, Helena snapped, "I will not just stand by and watch my baby brother die. Dragon or not."

"If the dragon wants him dead, he is already," Caspian said shakily.

"Well I'm going after him. Are you coming or not?" Helena snapped. He signed, glancing at her before giving a resigned nod. Ignoring her soreness, Helena headed farther into the island, aiming for where she assumed the dragon had headed. Suddenly Caspian motioned for her to stop. Before she could ask why, she suddenly heard it. Footsteps were coming towards them. No human steps were that loud.

From over the hill, the dragon appeared, walking towards them. And walking beside him, calm as the night, Edmund. Helena and Caspian shared confused looks before Edmund spotted them and broke into a run. "It's okay," he said. "The dragon is Eustace." Helena's eyes widened.