10. Broken Chains

After discussing a dozen or so plans that wouldn't work, Edmund resolved to kicking the door again. As he continued badgering the door, a frail voice from the far side of the room said, "It's hopeless. You'll never get out."

"Who's there?" Edmund asked.

"Nobody," the old man replied. "Just a voice in my head." Caspian stepped forward, coming to face the man. He leaned forward into the light.

After studying him a moment, Caspian greeted, "Lord Bern." The old man started in surprise.

"Perhaps once," he replied. "But I am no longer deserving of that title."

"Is he one of the seven?" Edmund asked. Caspian nodded, crouching down beside him. The light illuminated his face, leaving nothing left to the shadows.

"Your face," the man said, staring at him. "You remind me of a king I once loved well."

"That man was my father," Caspian explained.

"Oh, my lord," the old man said emotionally, in truth he sounded close to tears as he attempted to get to his feet. "Please forgive me."

Kindly, Caspian helped him to his feet as he replied, "No, please." Edmund climbed up to look out the window as the sacrifices to the mist rolled past.

Lucy and Eustace watched with baited breath as a young girl chased after her mother and father, both fighting in their own way...and both losing. Forcefully, Lucy was unshackled and Eustace was as well. They, and several other prisoners, were led from the wall they had spent the night chained to to the middle of the market. Shoved into the platform, Lucy faced the men staring at her, sizing her up, wanting her for reasons she didn't even want to think about.

"I bid sixty!"

"Eighty!"

"Hundred for the little lady!"

When silence met this response, the man asked, "Any more bids?" Silence. "Sold!" He hung a sign from her neck and forced her from the platform to be replaced with Eustace.

Helena started as the door opened. Caspian, who was closer to her, gently grabbed onto her arm and tucked her behind him. She wrapped her arms around his, hiding behind his bulk. He was at least five inches taller than her. They got to Edmund first, placing the chains around his wrists before turning to Caspian and Helena. She let out a shriek of surprise as she was pulled away and Caspian had to fight his impulses not to keep holding on. He was chained last and the three were forced through the door.

As they came up from the dungeons, Helena glanced over and saw that they were facing the market. Not two seconds later, a fight broke out. Reaching into her shirt sleeve, Helena grabbed her knife and sprang upon the guard in front of Caspian while Edmund handled the other. More guards rushed towards them. Helena jumped the first, wrapping the chains around her wrists around his throat, chocking him.

"Helena!" Caspian called.

"A little busy!" She replied before finally managing to get him to pass out. Looking up, she saw he had a set of keys in hand. Quickly, he fit the keys into the locks at her wrists and they fell with a clang to the ground. Reaching into her boot, she drew out another knife and threw it at him. Catching it, he ran to the wall and jumped over the edge, sliding down to the ground with the help of a long, durable cord hanging from the top. Helena followed and soon they were in the thick of the fight. After it had ended, Helena rushed towards her sister, taking her in her arms and allowing another sob to leave her lips.

"Lucy," she cried, hugging her as if she might slip away again in another moment. Edmund came next and hugged both his sisters.

"Are you both all right?" he asked. Lucy nodded with a smile. Helena pulled away finally and embraced Edmund.

At long last, they were making their way through the city back to their boats, with their weapons returned. As they were walking, a desperate voice called, "Your majesty!" Your majesty!"

"Hold it," Drinian ordered as everyone at the front drew weapons to protect their king.

"My wife was taken just this morning!" he pleaded.

"It's all right, Drinian," Caspian assured.

The captain stepped back and the man approached just as a little girl ran to him, crying out, "Daddy!"

"Gael," he scolded, pushing her behind him, not unkindly. "I beg you to take me with you."

"I want to come!" the little girl cried.

"No, Gael, stay with your aunt," the man ordered, pushing her to the side again. "I'm a fine sailor. Been on the sea my whole life."

"Of course you must," Caspian replied, gripping his shoulder assuringly. They walked in but the man stayed behind to speak with his daughter.

When they had finally reached the habour, another voice called, "My king! My king!" They stopped, spotting Lord Bern. Holding out strange object in his hands, he explained, "This was given to me by your father. I hid it safely in a cave all these years."

"That's an old Narnia sword," Edmund said, recognizing it.

"It's from your golden age," Lord Bern explained. "There are seven such swords. Gifts from Aslan to protect Narnia. Your father entrusted them to us. Here, take it and may it protect you."

"Thank you, my lord," Caspian replied, taking it from him. "And we shall find your lost citizens." They continued on but Helena didn't miss Caspian gifting the sword to Edmund. She smiled, happy to see the radiant look on his face at the gift.