15. Riddles and Metaphors

From the building, Helena noticed two figures emerging. Slipping her hand out of Caspian's warm, comforting hold, she sprinted forward, crying out, "Lucy!" Her little sister smiled, accepting her embrace eagerly as her older sister spun her around excitedly. "Lucy, we all thought something had happened to you. Are you all right?"

"I'm perfectly fine, Helena," she said with a smile. "I'm all right." Caspian and Edmund approached next as the chorusing shouts of the creatures cried out, "The Oppressor! The Oppressor!" Finally, Helena turned her attention to the man next to Lucy. He was older, possibly sixties or seventies with grey hair and beard and a long robe.

With a bow, he greeted, "Your Majesties."

"Caspian, Edmund, and Helena," Lucy introduced. "And this is Coriakin. It's his island." Instantly, the two kings bowed respectfully.

As they straightened, one of the creatures cried out accusingly, "That's what he thinks! You have wronged us, Magician."

Coming towards them, he said, "I have not wronged you. I made you invisible for your own protection."

"Protection?" one scoffed.

"That's oppressive!"

"Oppressor!"

"I have not oppressed you," the magician said, sounding almost as though he was tired.

"But you could've...if you'd wanted to!" one retorted. Helena rolled her eyes.

"Begone," the magician ordered, tossing some white powder at them. Instantly, they hopped away as fast as they could.

"Quite funny creatures, aren't they," Helena chuckled.

"Yes, quite," Caspian agreed with a smile, glancing over at her.

Coming back over to them, Coriakin said, "Your Majesties, I must speak with all of you. I have some information you might find most beneficial."

"Of course," Caspian replied graciously. Turning to the men, he said, "Get back to camp. Make ready to leave in a few hours' time. Drinian, with us, if you please." Lucy led the way by Coriakin's side while Edmund and Drinian came next with Eustace, who had insisted on coming along, and finally, Helena and Caspian. "Are you unhurt?" Caspian asked, tuning out the conversation Lucy had started with the magician.

"I'm fine, Caspian," Helena assured. "A bruise maybe, but I've seen far worse. You can't imagine the kinds of injuries dancers see every day."

"Really?" Caspian replied, his lips curled in amusement. "I never knew it to be such a dangerous sport." Helena couldn't help the wide smile that crossed her face upon hearing that single word. Sport.

"Well, first of all, several dancers either overwork their bodies or just push themselves too hard," she explained. "That can strain muscles and cause all kinds of sprains and damage that is much harder to fix. Not to mention the potential of being dropped during lifts and lord knows what else. And don't even get me started on the lost toenails."

"I had never realized," Caspian said, a thoughtful expression on his face. "I suppose now that you mention it, it all makes sense." As they were walking through a doorway, Helena felt the back of Caspian's hand brush against hers. She blushed, casting a pale pink glow across her cheeks. Glancing up at him, she saw that other than a slight quirk upwards of his lips, his expression remain unchanged. Before she had a moment to think on it, her attention was completely drawn by the new surroundings of the room.

It was covered in earthy colours, giving it the feeling of a homely place, if not a little drab. Nonetheless, Helena found it quite beautiful in its own way. From a corner, Coriakin drew out a large rolled-up map which he quickly flung out to lay flat on the ground. Helena drew in a sharp, surprised breath. Clouds hovered over the bright, luminescent sea, and in tiny detailing, she could see the waves moving.

"It's quite beautiful," Eustace said. Everyone glanced over at him in surprise. Catching himself, he said, "I mean, for a make-believe map of a make-believe world."

"There is the source of your troubles," Coriakin explained, pointing to a small island. The map zoomed in, showing the place in greater detail. To Helena, it looked like a cage made of coils of black smoke. Between the bars, green mist swirled. "Dark Island. A place where evil lurks. It can take any form. It can make your darkest dreams come true. It seeks to corrupt all goodness. To steal the light from this world."

"How do we stop it?" Lucy asked as Helena felt fear coil around her chest in claustrophobic rings.

"You must break its spell," he replied. Turning to Edmund, he pointed at his waist and said, "That sword you carry. There are six others."

"Have you seen them?" Edmund inquired.

"Yes," Coriakin said.

"The six lords," Caspian filled in. "They passed through here."

"Indeed," Coriakin said.

"Where were they headed?" Caspian asked, taking Helena's hand without realizing he was doing it. A wave of calm rushed through Helena's system at the touch. Giving his hand a gentle squeeze, she ran her thumb over the back of his hand.

"Where I sent them," Coriakin replied. The map moved again, showing another island. "To break the spell, you must follow the blue star to Ramandu's Island. There the seven swords must be laid at Aslan's table. Only then can their true magical power be released. But beware. You are all about to be tested."

"Tested?" Lucy replied. Helena could tell she was scared.

"Until you lay down the seventh sword, evil has the upper hand," Coriakin explained. "It will do everything in its power to tempt you." Leaning closer to Lucy, he said, "Be strong." His eyes fixing on Edmund, he added, "Don't fall to temptation." Finally, he moved over to Helena and Caspian. "To defeat the darkness out there, you must defeat the darkness within yourselves."

"Anything else?" Edmund asked.

"You have all that you need to defeat the island," Coriakin replied cryptically. The room fell into silence for a long time.

Finally, Caspian said, "We need to get back to the men." Then, as if waking from a dream, each began to walk out, one by one. First Drinian, then Eustace, then Lucy, then Edmund, and finally, his hand slipping from hers, Caspian. When she at last turned to leave, Caspian was already a good way down the hall.

Just as she reached the door, Coriakin said, "Your majesty, do not allow the pain from your past to dictate what your future could be."

Frowning, Helena asked, "What do you mean?"

"I can see many destinies for you and your friends. Your siblings have found theirs, but you...I see two paths set before you," Coriakin explained. "Frankly, my dear, you are at a crossroads and only your anger can hold you back."

"I'm not angry," she replied, brows furrowed. Without another word, Coriakin disappeared down another hall.