27. Aslan's Country

The white mass, as it turned out, was really bunches of pure white water lilies and as they moved along, just Caspian, Edmund, Lucy, Helena, Eustace, and Reep, they surveyed the flowers with awe. "So, what was it like when Aslan changed you back?" Edmund asked as he and Caspian rowed. 

"No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it myself," Eustace explained. "Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt but it was a good sort of pain. You know, like when you pull a thorn from your foot. Being a dragon wasn't all bad. I mean, I think I was a better dragon than a boy, really." 

"Perhaps," Helena said kindly. "But you're young enough to change and it seems that you have." 

"I'm so sorry for being such a sop," Eustace said and he sounded completely sincere. 

"It's okay, Eustace," Edmund said with a smile. "You were a pretty good dragon." Caspian smiled in amusement and Helena wrapped an arm around Eustace, which he gladly accepted. 

"My friends, we have arrived," Reep said. Everyone looked, in the case of Edmund and Caspian, turning to do so. Above a small patch of sand, a wave curled up into a large sea. Helena stared at it in wonder. Reep jumped out the moment they reached the sand, followed by Caspian and Edmund. Helena followed behind, accepting Caspian's hand. They did not let go as they approached the huge wave. 

As they were walking, a huge shadow approached which Eustace saw first. "Aslan," he said. Everyone instantly turned and Helena suddenly felt the need to sink to one knee, but before she could decide whether or not to listen to this impulse, the lion fixed her with one of his great eyes. 

"Helena Pevensie," he said. 

"Y-Yes, sir?" she replied shakily, unsure of how best to address him. 

"Narnia has awaited your coming for many years," he said. 

"I-I'm honoured, sir," Helena replied. 

The lion was silent a moment before he said, "You have proven yourself on this journey and for that, I now proclaim that you are Queen Helena of Narnia." The blood drained from her face in shock as she stuttered over some kind of response. 

"I-" she began. "T-Thank you." 

Facing them all, the lion said, "You have all done well, very well indeed. You have come far and now your journey is at its end." 

"Is this your country?" Lucy asked. 

"No, my country lies beyond," Aslan replied, gesturing his great head towards the great slope of water. 

"Is my father in your country?" Caspian asked. Helena ran her thumb over the back of his hand comfortingly. 

"You can only find that out for yourself, my son," the lion replied. "But you should know that if you continue, there is no return." Helena began to feel a terrible weight build in her chest as though something was coming, something she herself had yet to think about. 

Letting go of Helena's hand, Caspian strode forward and allowed his hand to pass into the water. Stepping back, he said, "I can't imagine my father would be very proud that I gave up what he died for. I've spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not what was given. I was given a kingdom, a people." Approaching Aslan, he said, "I promise to be a better king." 

"You already are," the lion replied. Turning to the other four, he said, "Children." 

"I think it's time we went home, actually, Lu," Edmund said. 

Turning to him with a confused expression, she said, "But I thought you loved it here." 

"I do," he said, "but I love home and our family as well. They need us." Helena felt a terrible sadness spread through her as she shifted her gaze from her siblings to Caspian. His eyes were already on her. Even throughout Reep's goodbyes, she couldn't stop the pounding her of sorrowful heart. 

Fixing her eyes on Aslan, Lucy asked, "This is our last time here, isn't it?" 

"Yes," Aslan said sadly. "You've grown up, my dear one. Just like Peter and Susan." Lucy and Edmund had approached the great lion but Helena was holding back tears and stayed back with Eustace. 

"Will you visit us in our world?" Lucy asked sorrowfully. 

"I shall be watching you always," Aslan promised. Turning his head from the two of them, he said, "Your heart is in great anguish, my dear Helena." She averted her gaze but before she could control them, tears fell from her eyes. He approached her, allowing her to put her hands in his mane as he said, "You have known great sorrow in your homeworld and although you have known great joy and great love here, it is not for you to stay." 

"But why?" Helena asked tearfully. "Why do I have to leave?" 

"Your family needs you, Helena," Aslan said gently. "But you will come back. Your time is not yet up, my dear." 

She hesitated a moment before asking softly, "Will Caspian still be here when I return?" It was so soft that no one other than the lion heard it. 

"Yes, dear one, but many years will have passed and your adventure will not be with him," Aslan replied. Somehow, the others could never explain, only Helena heard those words. To the others, it sounded as though it was a different language. "Say your goodbyes." He turned, roared into the wave, and caused a large opening to form. 

Helena moved away and over to Caspian. There were tears in his eyes. They did not share words or displays of affection, but both just looked at each other. Helena wrapped her arms around him tightly and whispered, "Thank you." 

"For what?" he asked. 

"Reminding me that I'm capable of being loved," she said. They held on to each other another moment before pulling away. Helena kissed Caspian's cheek before turning to follow her family into the wave.