C H A P T E R 14

MIDSUMMERS

Once the evening came, Cooper drove the two of them to Midsummers, in a very tense atmosphere. No one of them shared a word since they had been back from the police station and their argument in the car.

Callie immediately spotted Kiara and Pope near the barbecue, so she decided she'd directly go there and meet them. She stepped towards them and noticed their mood swinging as fast as they saw her.

She ran at them and Kiara almost jumped on her, pulling her in for a warm hug. "I didn't expect you to come," Kie whispered, in relief.

The two girls pulled away and Callie turned at Pope, who was nervously scratching his neck.

"Hey Pope"

"Hey Cal," she gave him a quick hug but he pulled away.

"I'm so sorry, please forgive me I swear I'll make it up to you, honestly I-"

"Shut up Pope, shut up," she said as she took his face in her hands and looked at him. "I don't regret I did it," she added.

"Thank you Cal, but please don't ever do that again," he instructed as she let go of his face with her hands and nodded.

"But don't sink no more boats," she laughed and he did along with her.

She helped Pope with the barbecue as Kiara left for a few, to join her parents but about an hour later, music started to play.

Some people started to dance, and everyone gathered around the dance floor.

She then saw him, beautiful, handsome as she had rarely seen him. God, Rafe looked so good with his pastel blue suit.

And that's when she understood. No, this year's midsummers theme wasn't blue at all, it was just Cooper trying to have Rafe and her match the entire time.

He was looking all over the room, inspecting every corner, and then he saw her. He quickly ran at her and smiled as he saw her in details.

He arrived near her and couldn't help himself from smiling wildly. "Damn it, I've got such a beautiful girl," he spoke, touching softly her dress.

"You're not so bad yourself Mr Cameron," she adjusted his collar and raised on her tiptoes, giving him a quick kiss.

"I didn't expect Cooper to make it," he said as she pulled away.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm the one who asked him to make us match, as I couldn't take you shopping, he just did it for me," he started to talk louder as the music changed and a slow music started to play.

"Oh Rafe I can't believe you did this" she laughed kissing his lips softly.

"Come on baby, let's dance" he took her hand into his, but she didn't move cause she was surprised.

"But Rafe you don't dance, usually"

"Well you do, so let's go" he took her to the dance floor and placed himself closer from her.

He wrapped his arms around her and she rested her head against his chest.

They slow danced to the sound of the music and he approached his mouth from her ear, leaning towards her. "My dad's gonna kill me"

"For?" she asked as her eyes were still closed.

"Showing up before the whole Cameron's official arrival. God why can't we be like all other families?" he asked slowly. "I hate him so much sometimes. I can't believe I'm his son"