C H A P T E R 29

AWAY FROM HIM

"Kie go go go!" John B rushed out of the police station running towards the car.

He got in and Kie started driving not knowing why he was so panicked.

"What's going on John B?" Callie asked panicked.

"They think it's me Cal. Your boyfriend, he framed me for his murder"

Those words echoed inside her head and she was about to faint when JJ took her hand into his. "Sanders stay with us"

"No, John B, no Rafe is not a liar, okay?" she managed to say.

"Well apparently he is"

She sobbed a little, resting her head on JJ's shoulder. So more than having a psycho boyfriend, now she had to choose between her friends and him?

"We'll drop you home Cal, so you can rest," Kiara softly said, driving to Callie's place.

Once they arrived, she got out of the car and JJ started to get out too. "What are you doing Jay?"

He shut the car's door behind him and walked with her. "Well you're not staying alone"

"No I'm not. Cooper is here, you can go home," she kissed his cheek. "I mean, at the chateau. This home," she corrected.

"Yeah, sure, just call any of us if you need support," he hugged her a last time and she nodded, keeping him in her arms as much as she could because she needed him. "Stay safe"

"Goodnight Maybank"

"Goodnight princess"

He got back in the back of the car and she watched the car leaving before opening the front door of her house and breaking down on the floor.

She screamed in pain and sorrow, letting out everything she had not expressed ever since the scene had happened.

"Hey hey hey Callie-" Cooper arrived and got on the floor, holding her.

He wrapped his arms around her and she cried in his arms for what felt like ages. Here, in the entrance of their house, she felt like her life was falling apart. There was no bright outcome, only sorrow.

"Coop-C-Cooper" she sobbed resting her head on her brother and he held her tighter.

"I know, I know, Rafe called me"

"Wh-What am I gonna do?" she cried and he kissed her head, tears falling down his cheeks too. "I love him," she whispered.

"Hey, it's not like you were alone. You've got a brother, a boyfriend and many other friends"

"Wh-what?" she sobbed, looking at him.

"John B isn't your only friend okay, he's going to be judged for what he did, but you won't be alone"

She pushed Cooper away from her and got up. So the news were spread? How did he know?

She went to the living-room and her heart shattered when she saw the paper.

"Wanted: John B Routledge, fugitive, first degree murder, $50 000 reward" she read out loud before tearing the paper and looking at Cooper.

He sat on the sofa and pat on it so she could sit next to him. "Come here Cal"

"Coop you can't believe this," she rushed towards him and took his hands into hers.

"What? of course I do. But look, Rafe called me, he said you were there when it happened so maybe you'd be traumatised and I had to take care of you when you were coming back home"

"Yes I was there that's the whole point Coop! I saw what happened. And John B didn't kill Peterkin"

Coop frowned and played with her fingers, anxious. "Then who did?"

She closed her eyes and wondered if she had to tell him the truth. Because it would make her choose between her friends and her boyfriend, but in the same time, Coop was her brother. She could tell him.

"I hum.. so.. Rafe killed Peterkin"

She looked at him and he pulled her against his chest, so she could cry a little more. She sobbed, realising she had chosen a side. The Pogues side.

"Is it true?" he asked and she nodded.

"But please," she looked up at him and cupped his cheeks to look in his eyes. "I can't have him in jail. Not far from me"

"Look Cal, I know what you're saying is true. Because I know how much you love him and how much it breaks you, to tell me he did it" he took a deep breath before going ahead. "But we have to take him to the police. He killed someone"

She shook her head softly. "Please no"

"But then John B will be framed for the murder, you know that right?"

"No, we'll find a solution, we always do"

"Cal, I know you're traumatised and you're not thinking straight but.. your boyfriend is a murderer okay? and you can't be around him no more, I want you to stay away from him"

She sobbed again and shook her head, biting her nails. "Please don't do that. Don't keep me away from him, please"

"He's dangerous, when he's gonna do the same he did to this cop but to-"

"What's fucking wrong with you all?! JJ said the exact same thing! I fucking hate you, you know he wouldn't hurt me because he loves me," she cried as she got up and was ready to go to her room but Cooper grabbed her arm.

"Cal, you're everything I have. So yeah, I'll keep you here in lockdown as much as I want because you'll be safe here and only here. As long as I can keep an eye on you I know Rafe won't approach you, or us"

"I don't care what you want, my best friend is a fugitive and you expect me to stay here watch tv with you? sorry but that's not happening and I don't care about your lockdown bullshit," she slapped his hand away from her arm and went to her room.

She got changed, put on new shorts and a new t-shirt so she didn't have blood on her anymore. Cooper tried to get in her room many times but she had locked the door so he just yelled at her to open it.

Part of her knew she shouldn't do it, because it wasn't fair and would cost more problems than solve, but she did it anyways.

She opened her window, got out of her room and ran towards the Cameron's mansion, hoping Cooper wouldn't realise it too soon, and Rafe would be there.

She ran for many minutes, along the empty and dark streets of Figure-Eight, hoping her boyfriend would be okay, because he was everything that mattered.