C H A P T E R 15

SPITTING COBRA

They all gathered around a fire and sat down. Callie didn't exactly know what was happening but John B seemed pretty excited.

"Hey guys, my brother's already gonna kill me so what's this mandatory meeting about?" Callie asked as they all turned to look at John B.

"Might as well tell them man, before we're gaffed," JJ replied, unexpectedly.

"You ready for this?"

Everyone nodded and John B looked at JJ before going ahead. "So the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant"

"Oh my god, here we go again with this," Pope spoke softly and Callie smiled.

"So where is it then?" she asked, impatient.

"Wait a minute princess, hear him out alright?" JJ said as he sat down next to her.

"It's been here the whole time. It's on the island," he kept going as everyone's eyes went wide.

"What?"

"I'd like to voice my skepticism" Pope said.

John B left out a sigh and looked at him before answering. "I'm sure you would Pope, may I present you my evidence," he took a paper out of his backpack.

"Alright so in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny"

"Who the hell is that," Kie asked.

"Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad found the complete manifest, that was his big discovery"

"Oh my-"

"So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom," John B cut off Callie as they all passed the letter to each other so that they could all read it.

"After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll, please," they all did drumrolls on their lap as John B teased them with a silence.

"Because that farm is Tannyhill plantation," he concluded.

"Tanyhill?"

"No way bro"

"Yes! So after that he used his money to free even more slaves and then he sold a shit ton of rice and which he pissed off white panters and then they decided to lynch him"

A silence followed, as they were all shocked by the news and the story John B had just told them.

"God"

"On the day they were coming to get him, he wrote a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter he gives a coded message about where to find the gold"

Kiara smiled wildly. "Where?" she asked.

"Harvest the wheat, in parcel nine, near the water"

"Harvest the what?" Callie asked, confused. Wheat wasn't exactly what they were expecting to hear.

"Cal, there's no wheat, you see wheat is the code for gold, check this out."

"So that means the gold is in parcel nine, near the water," Callie concluded, confused but trying to understand.

"Yeah, that's it. All we need is an original survey map of the property and we have found the gold"

They all praised John B, cheered him, and JJ got up, pulling John B in a forced hug.

"Wow wow fire, near the fire bro, you're gonna burn," John B pushed JJ away a little and they all smiled.

"I'm so proud of you right now" JJ said.