Burnt Into Ashes

"Let's start the ceremony," Lan Xichen asserted sternly. There was a sense of aggravation, exasperation, and hasten in his tone, and he seemed to be utterly piqued by the series of distasteful events that had been haunting him, as he saw the devastating reflection of the vexing effect in his brother's doleful eyes.

" Yes," Jin Guangyao and Jiang Cheng assented together, and threw a sharp glare at the feeble soul who was sitting with enervation like a worn out piece of jaded log.

Lan Xichen looked at Lan Wangji and the latter nodded.

The second jade of Lan started walking towards Wei Wuxian with sturdy yet shaky steps. But none could pick up the secondary attribute in his posture except one white-robed man who sighed upon sensing the vulnerability in his brother's demeanor.

Each and every soul present in the Hall stiffed and waited with patience, and cold spines. Some wore a satisfied expression, while some wore an anguished expression. But everyone held their breaths and stared at the scene that was played live in front of them like ogling owls.

Lan Wangji's steps halted, and after a few moments, he retreated a few steps back.

"Anything wrong Wangji? " Lan Xichen asked with concern.

" Too close" Were the only words that the younger Lan uttered feebly.

Few faces elicited wry smiles.

Too close. A demonic person should not be approached too much.

Wei Wuxian sat on the floor with a desolate mind and an enfeebled heart. He could neither hear, nor fathom anything. Everything seemed like a faint dream where he is nothing but a figment. His mind is tossed on an unknown land, where he could see nothing but a parched void.

He never noticed that a white figure has approached him, he never noticed that many eyes were gazing at him with detest and abomination.

He was just picturing two figures... A very faint two figures of a beautiful cheerful woman and a sturdy handsome man. There was a donkey, and the couple were walking in before the donkey. After a moment, a little figure appeared on the man's shoulder. It seemed as if someone is painting the scenes one by one. The donkey was braying happily while the little boy was giggling loudly as the woman tickled him.

It was a perfect scene

It was a perfect scene. A perfect happy family, that fate has always snatched away from him. Not even in two lifetimes could he taste the joy of the familial love he had always craved for, as destiny always seemed to be determined to sway away mirth from the path of his life.

But, this freshly painted memory made him smile. With closed eyes, he relished the memories he was painting in his mind, with a small smile plastered on his lips. It has been six years since he last reminiscent this scene, and it was the time he was taking his last breath at the burial mounds, before the hundred screeching corpses volleyed towards him.