Chapter Forty

A/N
   Well, this was 100% supposed to be posted over the weekend but this chapter needed extra love..... I really hope you enjoy because this chapter has been planned since the beginning!!!

Oh and please let me know if you find any mistakes. It helps me out a lot! Thanks!!

*~* Brandon Henshaw’s POV *~*

Amusement is still pouring through me as I drive down the dark road towards downtown Charleston. The look on her face when I called her Smalls was perfect, and I feel another burst of laughter wanting to spill out. 

Kay used to get the same murderous kitten look when I pushed her buttons

… used to.

Fuck.

The corners of my mouth drop at the reminder that she's gone.

Kayli's dead. 

I’ve been clutching onto hope for months now that she and Blake made it out in time and have been safely outside the containment barrier. But in reality, they never even made it out of the hospital that morning. 

Corey's words from the other day constantly ring inside my head, telling me to feel what I need to feel and then let shit go. But every time I turn around there's another reminder that they're gone and each time the anger builds hotter.

I'm just fucking pissed.

Pissed at Kayli for so easily throwing her life away.

Pissed at Blake for not protecting her as he promised us.

But mostly, I’m pissed at myself for leaving that morning.

We were all supposed to be on leave for Kayli’s surgery, but she saw how antsy we were after speaking with Phil. All morning he was getting these weird reports about people losing their minds and maiming anyone near them. She had told us to go help out since her surgery wouldn't be for a few more hours, and we fucking did. 

We left her and Blake there to die all because we couldn’t sit on our asses for more than a few fucking minutes.

My anger burns through my chest and I get the overwhelming need to destroy something to get all this rage out of me. But all I can do at the moment is tighten my fingers around the steering wheel until my knuckles turn white.

“It’s up ahead,” Axel calls out, causing me to flinch back to the present as the anger slowly cools off again. “About another hundred yards or so on the right.” I jerk my head in a halfway decent nod and slow the SUV down before switching on the brights. The second I spot the turnoff hiding under overgrown grass and weeds I flip the brights off. This place is pretty secluded out here in the fringes of the city but there’s always the chance one of the Psycho’s patrols could come this way. 

No need to announce our presence with a bright fucking light.

The SUV’s tires lurch up and down the semi-destroyed driveway until I reach a chain-link fence. I stop us a few feet away since the fence looks second from falling over and kill the engine. 

“So what’s the plan?” I ask as I scan every inch of the building the SUV’s lights can reach from here. The small brick radio station was already a weirdly the poster child for the perfect apocalypse theme building, so when we checked it out three weeks ago it was the most normal-looking place within Charleston. Cracks splinter across all five large windows lining the front, tall grass crawl up the walls, and the door caved in months ago with the fallen tree branch still laying on top.