Chapter Four

°A/N°
I've changed something!!!!

Okay now that I have your attention, y'all need to know that I changed Jessica's age to around 15 or so. For some reason, I felt like Jess needed to be older in this story than she is in the books.

~Chapter 4~
(Edited)

Kneeling in the bed of Cowboys truck, I keep my eyes focused on what's ahead of us, and allow the roaring sound of the wind to drown out the screams of the students we left behind to die. I can feel my adrenaline starting to drain out of my system and I know it's only a matter of time before my body starts shaking like it always does.

I just hope we get to Kota's house before that happens.

My boys are quiet as they work through what's going on and how to get back to me, but I'm starting to get this sick feeling that maybe they won't find a way back.

No, I can't think like that.

They have always found a way to save me and this time will be no different.

I close my eyes as I breathe in the fresh air to calm my panic and keep myself in control. I feel the truck begin to slow down and open my eyes to see three people blocking the road with their arms waving at us to stop. The closer we get to them the more I recognize the small group of three.

"Please stop, Tristan," I say to him as I keep my eyes on the tall girl in the middle. It's been a few months since I've seen her this close but other than her new short brown hair, Marie still looks the same.

Cowboy stops the truck a few feet away from my sister and the only two people she hangs with, Derrick and Danielle, and they quickly run around to the back.

I reach my hand over the edge to help pull them up, but the moment Marie notices the hand belongs to me she jerks away. She sends me her usual scowl before climbing into the back of the truck by herself.

I feel my throat tighten as I hold back tears created from the hatred my only sister still feels for me over her mother. She doesn't say anything to me as she turns to help Danielle climb in next with Derrick right behind her. Both girls find a spot to sit as far from me as they can in the truck bed. Derrick, on the other hand, gives me a small smile.

"Thanks for stopping," he tells me. I'm afraid my voice will squeak from the tears I'm barely keeping in, so I just give him a small smile. I ignore the heated look Marie is sending me and move back to my spot next to the tiny window. Meeting Cowboy's eyes in the review mirror, I silently tell him to start moving again.

"Was that Derrick, Sang Baby?" I hear North asking. I clear my throat a few times until I feel safe enough to talk.

"Yeah. He, Danielle, and Marie flagged us down." When I get to my sister's name, my throat closes again, causing my voice to squeak like I knew it would.

"Oy, if she says one fucking mean ass thing to you, Trouble just let me know and I'll sic North on her," Meanie yells over whatever North is about to say. A small chuckle slips out at the image that creates.

"Peanut, just avoid her," Nathan says as North shouts at Meanie. He's been a little quiet as the others worked through everything, and I know he's probably pacing.

Both he and North have the shortest fuse in our family, but Nathan mostly internalizes it, which I've been trying to get him to stop. At least I know he's okay if he's talking.

"I will, Honey." I take a peek over my shoulder at her to see she's whispering with Danielle now. "Don't worry, guys. They're keeping to themselves."

Turning back around, I push Marie and her hatred out of my mind as I watch out the front window. I can see Bob's Dinner coming up with cars leaving the parking lot quickly.