Chapter Twenty-Seven

~Chapter 27~

*~* Jay William's POV*~*

Sang's at her limit.

I nervously tap the side of my thumb against my thigh as I look down at my partner in crime clinching a shaking Max to her chest. Her normal bright green eyes are starting to dull from exhaustion, and I know she's just moments away from passing out.

"You good?" I whisper as I kneel down in front of her, gently reaching my hand out to pet Max between his ears.

"Always," she answers back with a weak smile. I resist the urge to flick the middle of her forehead for acting tough when we can all see she needs a long ass nap.

"Yeah, whatever Shorty." She gives me one of those annoying huff sounds before smirking up at me.

"Stop nagging me, Hulky." I glare down at her as she tries not to break down in one of her giggle fits. This time, I don't resist as my fingers come up and flick her in the forehead.

I hate that fucking nickname, I think as she lets a few snickers escape, and she knows it.

As always, I can see straight through Sang's bullshit as she tries to make me believe she's fine, but I don't push. She might hate others worrying about her, but the moment she knows she's in over her head she'll speak up.

Use a smile to hide your faults.

Surprisingly, this trait used to put me on my guard around Sang. It reminded me so much of how Jade would manipulate the people around her. She would pretend to be all innocent to the right people to keep herself out of trouble, but really, on the inside, she was just a conniving bitch.

After living with Jade's shit for so long, I never believed anyone was as innocent as they appeared. So, when I first watched Sang bat those big green eyes up at Dr. Green during the Open House last year to get out of trouble with Mr. McCoy, I thought she was going to be worse than Jade.

Shit, the girl had North and his friends wrapped tight around her little finger before the first day of school, and I hated Sang for it.

I despised thinking that another Jade was going to be manipulating people around me, but I quickly found out how wrong I was.

I mentally shake myself from my thoughts and want to laugh at myself for thinking I could lump Sang in with my sister.

Like shit and sugar.

I give Max one more comforting pat before gently using my fist to nudge Sang's shoulder. My way of telling her she's full of shit, but I'm not going to call her out on it. She rolls her eyes at me as I get to my feet again.

The sound of rushing footsteps echo in the large room, and I glance to the right to see two of the guys heading back to us. After Sang voiced her fairly simple idea, Raven, the large Russian, went off to scout for ways out with the unhurt twin.

Is he Brandon or Corey? I question myself as I watch them rejoin our little group. I think the nerdy one is Corey, so that's Brandon.

"How's it lookin?" Marc asks as I shift to stand beside Sang instead of in front of her.

"The back's clear," Raven informs, but I get distracted when I feel the slightest bit of movement next to my leg. I miss whatever Brandon says next as I peek down to catch Sang swaying side to side. Sighing quietly, I move that last inch next to Sang and nudge her shoulder with my leg.

She doesn't even try to fight as she leans some of her weight on me, and I start to tap my thumb against my leg again.

Why the fuck does she push herself to the point of exhaustion?