Chapter Five

~Chapter 5~
(Edited)

Breathe Sang, just breathe.

I stare down at the two words that confirm that my connection to my boys is officially lost.

A piece of my heart breaks off ever second I look down at the words until the screen finally goes black as it turns off, and I reluctantly slide the phone back into my bra. It's hot against my skin, almost like my own phone is taunting me, and I feel on the verge of losing myself to the darkness starting to grow inside me.

I look over at Jess to see silent tears falling down her face. Her eyes held a mix of sorrow and fear as she waits for me to give her some kind of direction on what to do next.

Get your shit together, Sang Sorenson, I scream in my head as I painfully dig my nails into my palm. The sting helps push the darkness away as I mentally pull myself together. Jessica is relying on you right now.

"Alright." The one word comes out shaky, but it's strong enough to grab the others' attention. "Jess, I'm going to need you to get them back to the diner." I see her shoulders straighten up as she wipes the tears from her face. Once again, I'm reminded of Kota as I watch her push through her own fear.

"Okay."

"Let's get everything in the truck. Then you guys will head over to the diner while I go get that bag from Nathan's," I tell them as I reach down to grab the insulated bag I just packed with food.

"Why don't we all go to Nathan's together?" I hear Jessica ask. Her concern makes her voice waver as she wrings her hands together. "I don't like the idea of you going off on your own."

"I don't either, but you guys have to catch up to Uncle before he leaves. He's by himself and might need help." I shift the bag around so I can gently pull her hands apart before continuing. "I also need you to get Micah's and Tom's things while I'm gone. The faster we get all this done the faster we get to safety." I can tell she still doesn't like the idea of leaving me behind, but she nods anyway.

"I'll go with her," Karen declares to Jess. I didn't see her move away from the couch, but now she's standing next to Jess with a reassuring hand on her shoulder. I send her a grateful smile for volunteering to go with me.

I still think separating is a stupid idea, but with Wil hurt, Tom in that traumatized state, and Micah being, well Micah, I think their group needs the most help.

"Come on," I tell them as I shoulder the bag. "Let's get everything in the truck so we can get out of here." Both girls nod as they each grab a bag that Jess packed with her and her mom's things.

They follow me down the hallway and to the front door where Cowboy is looking through the peephole on the door. He doesn't say anything as he picks up the dog food by his feet and opens it.

I hesitate in the open door and look around. A sense of relief washes over me when I see the empty neighborhood. It's not like I don't trust Cowboy's judgment, but seeing that there's nothing there with my own eyes helps me feel better.

With a sigh, I head over to the back of the truck just as Cowboy throws the dog food in. He reaches his hand back and I pass over the bag to him before going back into the house.

Finding the bag I made in Kota's room where I left it in the hallway, I quickly grab it before heading back out to hand it over to Cowboy.

Jess and Karen come back out with the last of the bags filled with food, and Cowboy arranges them with the others so nothing moves around too much when he's driving.

"That all of it?" he asks us.

"From this house," I answer him. He gives me that one head nod before we head back into the house.