Chapter Thirty

~Chapter 30~
(Edited)

The sound of the front door closing echoes in the depressing silence that has wrapped itself around the room when the truth about Kayli and Blake came out.

I can feel the memories, the ones dedicated to their last moments, slithering in the depths of my mind.

Waiting for the perfect opportunity to constrict my other thoughts until I'm gasping for relief from its overpowering emotions.

The closer those thoughts get, the more my muscles bunch up with my growing panic.

Ten, my heart stutters as the memory of Kota's voice breaks through some of the panic, you're going to be okay. Just focus on my voice.

Closing my eyes, I latch onto that memory. The one from months ago when Kota walked me through our counting technique to bring me back from the grips of a panic attack.

Nine.

I imagine Kota standing in front of me. His soft smile and confident green eyes framed with his black glasses silently telling me I'm okay.

Eight.

Nathan comes next, slinging his arm across Kota's shoulders. His normal serious expression morphing to one that challenges me to keep moving. To never stop until I'm satisfied with what I've done.

Seven.

Dr. Sean appears on Kota's other side with his messy curls and flirty smile prominent like always. I want, so badly, to giggle just to see if my imaginary doctor will cure them as the real one would.

Six.

Feeling my heart finally beginning to calm, I move on to Silas, my giant teddy bear standing above the others next to Sean. His gentle nature was a constant contradiction to his massive size, which quickly taught me to never judge a book by its cover.

Five.

My other paradox, the dark and imposing North, steps out from behind Silas. That notorious scowl of his already pointed in my direction. Though it used to scare me, now that harsh glower fills me with warmth. After all, North Taylor only shouts and glares when he cares.

Four.

A soft chuckle announces my prankster, Luke, before I catch him sneaking up on North. His long blonde hair gathered up in one of my stolen clips, leaving his face clear for me to see that mischievous smile spreading across his face as he leaps on North's back.

Three.

Gabriel's annoyed sigh breaks through North's grunts of disapproval, and like always, I find him shaking his head at the bothers' antics. He dramatically leans into Nathan while simultaneously running his hand through his hair, mixing the blonde strips in with the rest of the chestnut brown strands as he rolls those beautiful crystal blue eyes in mock annoyance.

Two.

Elegant fingers wrap around my Meanie's shoulder, giving it a comforting squeeze as my prince, Victor, calmly stands beside Gabe. His light brown eyes blazing with amusement as he watches his brothers playing around.

One.

His strong presence shelters me in security before I even turn around to find my Mr. Blackbourne standing tall behind me. His tailored suit fitting perfectly like always as he levels those greys eyes at me, silently commanding my full attention. Even in my thoughts, his presence has me straightening my spine and raising my head. That rare millimeter smile lifts the edge of those perfect lips, calming the last of my panic as the rest of my boys surround me.