Chapter Sixteen

~Chapter 16~
(Edited)

I clinch the thin curtains in my left hand as I continue to watch out the window.

But for what?

This feeling is different than what I got at Meanie's trailer. There, it was more of a don't go in there kind of thing, but now I feel like we need to move.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, I think as I watch the last family leave the parking lot. I hear Erica's soft footsteps on the carpet as she walks over to Jay and me by the window.

"Anything?" she asks once she's standing next to me.

"No," I tell her without looking away from the window, "I think I'm just getting paranoid."

"Maybe," Jay says, "but it's better to be paranoid than stupid." I roll my eyes at his bluntness. I'm starting to realize that Jay doesn't say the nicest things but at least it's always right.

I feel a slight nudge against my shoulder and I turn to see Erica holding the phone out to me. I pass the curtain over to Jay to hold open and take the phone from her before looking out the window again.

"I'm here," I say through the phone.

"Pookie, what's going on?" Sean asks me after making the others quiet down.

"I don't know, Sean," I admit to him as I finally pull myself away from the window. I walk the short distance to the couch, leaving Jay and Erica to watch out for danger, and just collapse on one of the cushions. I make sure to flip the safety on the gun before letting it fall to my side then rest my head on the back of the couch. "I just have this feeling that we shouldn't stay here for too long."

"Then don't," Nathan tells me in his gruff sounding voice. "Your instincts have always been spot on, Peanut. Don't doubt them now."

"He's right, Ten," Kota declares. "If you feel you need to leave, then do it. Now." His voice is laced with so much command that I'm already on my feet without realizing it.

Right.

I turn to call out for Charlie only to see him hurrying into the living room with his bag packed and his shoes on, ready to leave.

"I'm going to hand the phone back to Erica," I inform my boys. "I love you, guys."

Each one of my boys reply with their love and I just take a moment to let their different voices wash over me. Sighing, I go to hand the phone over to Erica but quickly pull it back with a need to say more to them. "Whatever happens, just remember that I'll be here waiting for you."

"And we'll be coming for you," Owen promises with a slight growl to his commanding voice. Shivers snake their way down my spine and my stomach begins to flutter with anticipation. This was the first time Owen has ever spoken to me like this, and surprisingly, I find myself wanting to hear more.

This is definitely not the time for that, I remind myself with a mental shake to clear my head again.

I reluctantly hand Erica the phone and she gives me a reassuring look, trying to tell me everything will be okay.

"Alright. Let's get out of here." I flip the safety off and lead the way down the hall to the front door. I grab hold of the doorknob, count three long heartbeats, then swing open the door. I cautiously step out with the gun raised and check that everything is all clear. "Come on," I tell the others as I slowly step away from the door.

Erica is right behind me with the phone in one hand and the keys in the other. Charlie's close on her heels with a butcher knife he must have picked up from the little table, and Jay is watching our backs with the large K-Bar knife.