Chapter Eighteen

~Chapter 18~
(Edited)

Fort Knox.

That's what I think of every time I drive up the driveway to Uncle's property.

Well, it's more of a compound now, I think as I slow the Jeep down to stop at the large gate. After every law enforcement officer disappeared, we went to every place with at least a seven-foot-tall chain link fence and surrounded the property, making sure to use the tress to hide the obvious border.

The only visible part of the fencing is the gate blocking the driveway, but we made sure the only way to see it is if you pull off the main road and drive a few feet down the driveway.

Thankfully, we haven't had any problems here except the random Crazies walking around in the woods.

I watch as the large gate starts to swing open, and I slowly move the Jeep through the opening. Derrick comes into view with a small wave as he holds the gate open, but I can see his face pinched with worry.

Wait, I think as I remember something, wasn't Cowboy on guard duty today?

"What the hell?" Jay says when he notices the change. I stop the Jeep right next to Derrick and roll down my window.

"What's going on? Where's Tristan?" I ask him, feeling some nerves building up inside me. Derrick's worried expression doubles as he looks over to Jay and it takes him a minute to finally come out with it.

"There was a problem between Marie and," he pauses for a second before adding, "Jessica."

Oh crap, I think, moments before Jay explodes beside me.

"What the fuck did she do to Jessie this time?" Jay demands to know.

"Pretty much what's happened the last couple of times," Derrick tells him while running his fingers through his short brown hair.

Not again.

Marie, for some reason, has gotten it inside her head that Jessica is giving people special treatment when it comes to food rations.

It all started about a month ago when runs for supplies started to take longer than a few hours since we brought in five more people into our little compound. So, Jess, being the nice person she is, started setting aside the rations of meals for whoever went out, and Marie accused her of hoarding food for them to get things she wanted.

Of course, no one believes the things Marie complains about and have just reached the point where they don't even listen to her anymore. Though, that doesn't seem to stop Marie from creating drama.

But if it was the same old drama, why does Derrick look so worried?

"What was different this time?" I inquired, which makes his eyebrows pinch more together.

"Well, I don't know the full story, but somehow Jessica ended up getting hurt." I hear a rage-filled growl next to me moments before the door is slamming shut. I turn to see Jay storming towards the house.

"Crap," I groan then turn back to Derrick, "try to keep everyone out of the house for a little while. I think Karen might finally get her wish."

"Don't think anyone is going to complain about Marie getting kicked out," he grumbles to me before moving away from the Jeep to close the gate.

Looking back to the house, I see Jay disappearing through the front door and feel my stomach twisting with apprehension.

Today's just isn't our day.