Chapter Thirty-Three

~Chapter 33~
(Edited)

*~* Axel Toma's POV *~*

I've come to think I had a firm grasp of my emotions. 

That if presented with any type of situation I could keep the passive, outward image every team lead is taught to reflect.

But just one sentence and all my years of training under the Academy's best crumples under the weight of my anger. 

You're just a whore like your dead mother.

I have to force my fingers not to tighten in anger around the wrist of Sang's so-called sister as I keep my attention focused on the retreating silhouettes of my brothers. The image of a very frustrated Sang hanging off Raven's broad shoulders would have been slightly amusing if it wasn't for the vile girl behind me. 

"LET GO OF ME!" Marie screeches as she begins tearing into the back of my hand with her nails. I continue to ignore her, keeping my attention solely on Sang and my brothers until their shapes vanish within the trees.

The moment I can't see them anymore I instantly release Marie's wrist and shift to face her. 

"What the fuck is your problem?" Maire shouts as she brings her wrist up to cradle against her chest. "You have no right to put your hands on me." 

I bring my own hands up, my fingers splayed open as a gesture saying I wasn't going to grab her again and take a step back. 

Though I can't suppress the slight eyes roll at her hypocritical comment since she had no right to put her hands on Sang.

"My apologies, " I say, mostly to defuse the situation, because in no way do I feel bad about grabbing her to keep Sang safe, "but I won't allow you to hurt Sang or anyone else within the vicinity."

"Why the hell am I the only one getting shit for what happened?" She projects the question to everyone around the clearing. "Sang was the one getting in my face."

Heavy steps alert me to someone moving towards us but I don't need to turn to know it's Jay. We were both simultaneously coming to help Sang, but I got to her first.

"And I for one was rooting for her to punch you in the fucking face, " Jay says, the anger mixing with his deep voice makes it seem like he was growling at her. "The fact she didn't just goes to show how much of a saint that girl is."

"Oh fuck off, " Marie fires back, her victim act completely rotting away as her poisonous attitude bleeds out again. 

The abrupt transition has me putting up my guard as I wait to see what she's planning next.

"You know Jay, " she says, changing her voice to this sickly sweet tone that grates against my ears. From the way Jay grimaces beside me, I'm not the only one. "You don't have to try so hard to get in my sister's pants. Just bat those big brown eyes and those legs of hers will open right up."

Jay just answers her with a bored scoff causing Marie's mud color eyes to spark with animosity. She slowly slides her gaze away from us and over in the direction he came from.

"Oh, but how could I forget." A smirk spreads across her pale face before she swings her attention back to Jay. "You and your buddies are trying to pry open sweet little Jessie's virgin legs."

A deep growl is my only warning as Jay jerks forward. I get a tight hold of his large bicep and block his path with my body as an added detriment. The boy is built like Raven and I'm afraid I might have to physically restrain him if Marie keeps goading him.