Chapter One

~Chapter 1~
(Rewritten)

Ms. Smith's heels click in rhythm with the ticking clock as she paces the length of the classroom. She's droning on about the test we took last week but I pretty much tuned her out within the first ten minutes of class. Kota will give me an earful when he hears about my inattentiveness, but I just can't bring myself to care about Geometry.

I glance down at the empty desk in front of me and feel the same ping of loneliness that's been harassing me the last couple of hours.

Stupid school.

My boys' mission here is the reason they're not with me now and won't be for at least a week.

The investigation involving Hendrick's and Mccoy's whole money laundering scheme that also included using students to sell the drug JH14, caused my boys to rack up quite a few favors between the nine of them. 

An opportunity presented itself this past Saturday that would allow them to erase that debt before I finish my Academy training. The drawback though was that they had to fly out to California early this morning.

I hate that we didn't have a lot of time to prepare before they left, but it also solved another major issue we have been having.

Proving to them I can take care of myself. 

It's finally time I pull up my big girl panties and demonstrate to them that I'm not the shy, closed-off girl they meet a few months back.

Nonetheless, one small glance at the empty desk again deflates some of that confidence I've been trying to build up inside as I start enduring this week alone.

Again I repeat Stupid school.

As a way to distract myself, I try out the pen spinning thing I've seen Luke doing when he's trying to concentrate on classwork.

It looked simple to do.

At first, I take it slow. Using my other hand to move the pen along as I try to get a feel for how it would fit between my fingers. After a few practice spins, I feel confident enough to give it a real go.

Unfortunately, the stupid pen has other plans, as it launches itself around my thumb and lands with a soft thud on the floor. I bend over to pick it up and try again.

And again

And again...

On the pen's tenth escape from me, Ms. Smith sends me a disapproving glare without missing a beat in her lecture and I mouth sorry to her. 

Embarrassed at getting caught, I quickly snatch the pen up from the floor and toss it on my math book. Glaring down at it as it settles itself in the crease of the open pages. 

My vibrating boob startles me from my anger towards the pen but just as quickly causes a smile to stretch across my face. I sneak a quick look around to make sure no one is looking my way and discreetly pull the latest iPhone from my bra. I hold it gently in my hands, completely terrified of having this one end up in Victor's cell phone graveyard. I know how much he paid for this one, unlike the others, and I'm a little mad that he got it when the last phone was completely fine. 

I had hoped to outmaneuver them this time around in their weird need to constantly get me a new phone.

Meanie had spilled the beans the night before and I tried hiding my current phone to keep it from being replaced. I figured if I could wait it out until they leave, then I could just use my phone and return the new one before they got back. 

Unfortunately, my boys are all a bunch of sore losers.

I'm positive they use the camera feeds to find out where I hid my phone then used Luke to hunt it down before they left.